Laiton lapsi - Värikäs nuoruuteni Etelä-Afrikassa, by Trevor Noah

booktalkwithjb's review against another edition

Born a Crime is Trevor Noah's stories of growing up in South Africa.

What I Appreciated About This Book: I loved this book, which was enriching, hilarious, eye-opening, thought-provoking and one of the most unique books I've ever read! I am a Trevor Noah fan, but I didn't know too much about his upbringing or history. I enjoyed learning more about the history of South Africa, and how this impacted Noah. Being a light-skinned, biracial boy in South Africa provided for a limiting childhood for Noah. This was such an interesting book, but what I loved most of all was the way Noah wrote about his mother. His mother sounds like a courageous, strong, incredible woman. I was floored by all that both Noah and his mother endured.

What Did Not Work For Me: Not much- I loved this book! I didn't love the dislike of cats, but overall, this book was a huge hit for me.

shelbyx14's review against another edition

funny hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

just_a_black_boy's review against another edition

Humorous, informative and at times harrowing.

charsi's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

dlrt's review against another edition

Loved this one. I learned a lot about South Africa and the stories are so captivating! This was so well written - couldn’t put it down.

itsthemandashow's review against another edition

funny informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

wrh121's review against another edition

Listened to this on audible and highly recommend it. Trevor Noah is a delight and his story is funny, poignant, and incredibly engrossing.

hannamaria811's review against another edition

informative medium-paced

booksandbark's review against another edition

“In any society built on institutionalized racism, race-mixing doesn’t merely challenge the system as unjust, it reveals the system as unsustainable. Race-mixing proves that races can mix—and in a lot of cases, want to mix. Because a mixed person embodies that rebuke to the logic of the system, race-mixing becomes a crime worse than treason.”

“But I was blessed with another trait I inherited from my mother: her ability to forget the pain in life. I remember the thing that caused the trauma, but I don’t hold on to the trauma. I never let the memory of something painful prevent me from trying something new.”

“I was everywhere with everyone, and at the same time I was all by myself.”

“You struggle with the notion that you can love a person you hate, or hate a person you love. It’s a strange feeling. You want to live in a world where someone is good or bad, where you either hate them or love them, but that’s not how people are.”

I don’t typically read or enjoy celebrity memoirs, but I’m so glad I ended up reading Trevor Noah’s Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood. I watch The Daily Show frequently, have watched all his Netflix specials, and was lucky enough to see Noah perform stand-up in person a few years ago. Even without audiobook narration, you can hear Noah’s voice really come through in all the anecdotes he tells. The stories, which are excerpted from various points of his youth, are told with a mixture of humor and seriousness, but Noah always manages to pull and point out a very poignant lesson. This book is about what it’s like to grow up mixed-race and identify as black in South Africa, but I think everyone can find something in it to relate to. From Noah’s stories about his mother (honestly I might be a bigger fan of Patricia Noah than Trevor) to the ones about him slipping through loopholes in the rules, everything is enjoyable. I went through this collection in two days, and when I finished I just wanted to read more. I hope this isn’t Noah’s last book. Easily one of my favorite reads of 2018, or perhaps ever. Can I give it more than five stars?

sarahbraves's review against another edition

adventurous dark informative reflective fast-paced