Dirty Hookup, by Mira Lyn Kelly

completelybookedup's review against another edition

2.0 out of 5.0 stars

The romance part is fine, but I thought the "obstacle" between them was stupid.

zellapaige's review against another edition

dark emotional sad medium-paced

The final line of this book is, I’m nearly certain, the worst final line of any book ever. The romance story of falling in love a first sight twice was actually very sweet and romantic. Making for one of the most unique books I’ve read in a long time. Unfortunately to make this unique storyline work the story relied upon my least favorite plot devices; miscommunications, lies, and secrets. Honest an open conversation might have made for a less compelling book, but much happier characters. So I’m torn on that part.

ambriehlmay's review against another edition

This was cute!! I’m just having a lot of trouble wrapping my head around the resolution they came to about the past? Like, he was drunk/had been drugged but she didn’t notice at all and she was completely sober? And they had sex? Someone who is drunk and on molly is incredibly noticeable. It’s really difficult to miss something so major and I think that was a massive plot hole. I did really like this and these characters were fine but yeah, I can’t seem to move past this whole ‘misunderstanding’ because it just doesn’t make sense to me.

inkiereads's review against another edition

emotional fast-paced

This audiobook was great! It has moments to swoon, to get angry, to be annoyed, all very well balanced. And the narrators made it even better!

Steam: 🔥🔥🔥

kassah14's review against another edition

Even thought parts of the concept and misunderstanding made me a little uncomfortable and made Quinn unlikable until you knew the truth I couldn’t put the book down. Mira writes addictively

beckymmoe's review against another edition

Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 3/31/2020.

Oh, goodness--this series!

George and Quinn's story was so much fun to read. Her early put downs of him, combined with her internal thoughts about him
Vaughn Vassar is in the lead, followed by Doug Shore and stupid sexy haired Quinn O'Brien, who's probably only bringing up the rear because he stopped to get a back alley blowj*b from some bunny on his way in.

God, I hate him.
made me laugh out loud more than once. And once they were together? Let's just say I'm amazed any ice managed to survive this book...

Of course it turned out that Quinn and George's story was a second chance romance, even though only one of them knew that it was for the bulk of the book. (Slightly confusing? Sure--but no worries, Ms Kelly explains it all eventually, and all the threads come together into a cohesive narrative that all makes sense AND brings us that much closer to an HEA :D) I liked that they both took responsibility for the problems their relationship ran into--doubly surprising, after the seven year grudge George had been nursing!--and that they resolved things like adults who care about where they are going to end up.

And that epilogue... (swoon!)

Dirty Hookup is the second book in the series, and the third featuring Slayers players ([b:Dirty Player|38769382|Dirty Player (Back to You, #2)|Mira Lyn Kelly|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1523996251l/38769382._SY75_.jpg|60351593]) but it should work just fine as a standalone. If you've read Natalie and Vaughn's book, though, you're going to love the extra time we spend with them here--as the BFFs of George and Quinn, they play pretty big roles. And yes, they're still absolutely adorable together... :D

Bring on book 3!

Rating: 4 stars / A-

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.

soonerkate's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this story! For some reason hockey romances are some of my favorite. Weird because I think I've only watched one hockey game in my entire life but that doesn't seem to matter when it comes to books.

I wasn't sure how the author was going to explain Quinn's complete lack of remembering George but I was actually pretty happy with how it was done. I also liked that we still got to see glimpses of Natalie and Vaughn from the first book.

I have to say this is one of my new favorite series. I can't wait for Rux and Cammy's book.

bookcaseandcoffee's review against another edition

Quinn and George.
We first meet Quinn and George in Natalie and Vaugh’s story Dirty Secret. You could tell from the interactions in that story just how special a guy Quinn is. He friended Vaugh, even when other kept their distance. There is something super remarkable about a nice guy.
However, we quickly learn in Dirty Hook Up that George does not think Quinn is a nice guy at all!! A chance meeting eight year in the past has left a bad taste in George’s mouth and she is unable to forgive Quinn. She is also unable to get him out of her mind and heart. For eight years she has compared every romantic experience she has with the one she had with Quinn eight years ago. Part of her issue with Quinn is he acts like he doesn’t even remember her or their encounter. Every time they run in to each other she is reminded of her gullibility in believing in Vaugh.
My heart broke a little each time George has an encounter with Vaugh. I love him he is such a good guy. Helping old ladies, being there for his teammates, but George just couldn’t see it. There are a couple of times I wanted to strangle her and shake her to just talk to him! I love that George’s character isn’t overtly feminine and Vaugh is attracted to her just the way she is. Which again just shows you what an amazing guy he is.
I don’t usually have the hots for the nice guy, but there is something spectacular about Vaugh. He gave me all the good feels. I was rooting for him from page one!!! I don’t know if it is just the good guy persona, I did fall in love with him in Dirty Secret for being such a good friend to Vaugh. Once George and Quinn connected it was hot. They have a truly romantic connection. So much love, so many feels.
Dirty Hook Up is a 5/5 Star read for me. I love Hockey Romances. I am not usually a fan at second chance romances, but this is more than just a second chance. Lace up your skates friends, this is one hot trip around the ice for sure!

adkwriter15's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

kimalah's review