Neuromancer, by William Gibson

olosta's review

adventurous challenging dark tense medium-paced

knatreads501's review

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

retrospectiveemperor's review against another edition

DNF... boring. It starts out great but rapidly loses steam.

cjames9's review against another edition

Interesting concepts, just not a cyberpunk fan.

ricardoapsantos's review against another edition

3.2
Sorry, but i could not finish this. It's just boring, and not boring in a good way, it's not "Lord of the Rings" boring, it's "being stuck in traffic for 3 hours" boring.

I really liked the atmosphere, and i believe that there MAY have something good in the story, but it's hard to know, as everything is either uncomprehensible or borders on uncomprehensible, the characters are really uninteresting, not likeable, and have little to no personality, turning them absolutely impossible to care about, something that isn't helped by Gibson's stiff, William s. Burroughs knock-off writing style, nothing seems to make sense or matter, events come and go without further explanation or sense of a story progressing, it's a cold, apathetic and absolutely exhausting reading, that really just isn't entertaining at all to read.

Yes, the atmosphere is great, and some parts of the story may or may not be interesting. But atmosphere and style alone can't make a boring, dull reading better, if anything, it makes it even worse when you consider how much better it could be.

I wanted to read this book for 3 years, and now that i did it, i'm very disappointed by it.

zelieanner's review against another edition

Took me a minute to get into- cyber world building is always like that for me. But once I got comfortable with it, it was very interesting!

atoningunifex's review against another edition

1. Didn't own the book
2. It was more challenging and dense than I was expecting. I will try again someday.

rsnodgra's review

dark informative tense fast-paced

yhtgrace's review against another edition

That many of the cyberpunk tropes we take for granted today originated from this one book is absolutely mind-blowing. The world-building is deeply immersive and obviously game-changing. I thought the plotting and writing were ok, but found the book to be somewhat lacking re characterization and theme.

bundy23's review against another edition

DNF. Average crime story buried in technobabble.