Number One Chinese Restaurant by Lillian Li

maijaka's review against another edition

I just could not find myself caring about the characters because I didn’t like any of them. I almost got into it right before I quit and was actually excited to read the next chapter, and then was immediately let down by a series of gross choices the main character made. They just weren’t likable enough for me be curious about their flaws or root for them. This was my second attempt to read it.

mg_in_md_'s review against another edition

To be rated/reviewed after this month’s book club meeting

I had a hard time deciding on a rating for this one; the book has received some critical acclaim and was long-listed for the Women's Prize. I liked the fact it was a fresh perspective/story and loved the setting because I'm familiar with the areas where the story takes place. However, I felt like there was a barrier between me and the story/characters while I was reading it. I can't put my finger on it, but there was something holding me back from connecting to the story, which is why I ultimately settled on 2 stars. The writing was accessible and the story moved along briskly, but, I had a hard time getting invested in it. Perhaps it was because the bleakness and the characters' personal trajectories never really changed; maybe I was expecting some sort of personal growth and that wasn't was it was supposed to be about. I'm ok with stories that don't have a happy or tidy ending or are heavy, and I'm also ok with "unlikeable" characters, but perhaps I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I read this one.

pegbooks's review against another edition

dark slow-paced

ka_t's review against another edition

slow-paced

jenniferkwoofter's review against another edition

I wondered if I should keep going, but the most popular review calls it “Awesomely mediocre” and yup, that’s it.

cathyatratedreads's review against another edition

Eh. Just couldn't get into it. Didn't read too far.

victoriathuyvi's review against another edition

Wow everyone was so unlikeable in this story. And usually, I don't judge a book based on whether I liked the character(s) personally, but here, it was such a dread to get through the story (even though about 1/3 in, I stopped caring what would even happen to the characters and 1/2 in, I already had an idea of several possible endings and none of them intrigued me much). Not a bad book, just lackluster.

metalikebeta's review against another edition

Entertaining enough family drama that had a bit of a lackluster/unfulfilling ending.

dhilderbrand's review against another edition

dark funny informative reflective medium-paced

I loved the pictured it painted of this community.  Ultimately, the story was just full of too much sadness for me to enjoy

mikkelsonch's review against another edition