The Girl with the Red Balloon, by Katherine Locke

halligomez's review against another edition

I am immediately drawn to any story involving World War II and how the war affected the world after. The Girl with the Red Balloon by Katherine Locke captures all of that.

There are so many wonderful things about this book. Overall, the story of survival and the dedication of those willing to help people trapped in dangerous and oppressive conditions is heartwarming. The story flows like a balloon floating in the sky. The plot was clear and well written and pulled us along as we fought along with the characters to get Ellie Baum, one of three main characters, home. We are quickly introduced to the six main and secondary characters whose relationships with each other are subtle yet complex. They are well developed with strengths, weaknesses, and strong motivations.

In my travels, I spent some time in Berlin, after the wall fell, and even then was astonished at the stark contrast between the east and west. Locke describes the dismal and depressing East Berlin with such clarity, as I read, the images in my mind were gray.

Yet there were the red balloons. The balloons and the magic written on them floated in and out of the past joining the stories. They brought color and hope for the characters to the very last sentence.

marit_tijhuis's review against another edition

Een tikkeltje fantasie tegen een accurate historische setting. Dat maakt het vier sterren waard!

jabberjawed's review against another edition

Good read.

bookloversboudoir's review against another edition

This is my first time reading the author.

The Girl with the Red Balloon is highly inventive and a lot of fun to read. I didn’t realise for a few chapters that Ellie had travelled to 1988, I thought she’d gone further back in time so I was a bit confused, but that’s my fault for not paying attention. The book uses different narrators. I thought this worked really, offering different viewpoints on what was happening. I loved the idea of the novel. Who doesn’t love magic balloons? The book starts to get a bit dark towards the end when Ellie realises why her time travel is so surprising to people and just what dark events are unwinding around her. This a cracking read with an original premise.

necessitteem's review against another edition

I enjoyed this book. I liked the things it explored and the characters. I did not like the insta-love but without that the book was great. I liked how it explored friendships and magic. An enjoyable read overall!

ltmurr's review against another edition

#biglibraryread
I liked it. The time travel magic concept was interesting, I liked the characters, and I learned a bit about 1988 east Berlin.

lididi's review against another edition

Fascinating twist on time travel. Did not care for the ending, though.

elliedwrites's review against another edition

I love historical fiction and magical realism, and I’m so happy to find a book that does both so well! The characters are rich and well developed, and somehow the author does time travel without being out there about it. Also, she handles the delicate WW2 stuff with sensitivity and humanity. So rewarding to read.

chuang22's review against another edition

I wish this story was longer. I wanted an epilogue or an aftermath. The ending felt abrupt. The book ends with the plot complete but what happens with the relationships? I know that Katherine Locke said there's a hint in the first chapter but that's not enough for me. I want to know more about Ellie after her journey.

angeld04's review against another edition

I read this book after listening to an interview with the author when the book was chosen as the Big Library Read. I’m so glad I did! What a great story, mixing historical fiction, with fantasy and magic.