keryno's review against another edition

A very interesting version of events, especially one that provides a voice to the un-voiced.

mrlzbth's review against another edition

informative sad medium-paced

m0beam's review against another edition

I have a major crush on this book. If you love nerding out about Victorian-era England, this book will meet all your needs. Hallie Rubenhold does an incredible job of making tangible the reality of social outcasts, and especially lower class women, during this time period. I LOVE how this book is all about the victims, not the infamous Jack the Ripper himself. In fact, it's not even really about the tragic murders--it's about their lives before. I am thoroughly impressed considering how much research this must have entailed, given that there wasn't much record of these women before their murders. And yet, Rubenhold supplements this with information about their neighborhoods, living conditions, social restraints, all of which make you feel like you know the world that they lived in and know the struggles they faced. Wow, basically Rubenhold crushed it and I wish I could read it again with fresh eyes. Can't wait to see what she writes next.

nathmoran91's review against another edition

Excellent book that is very well researched. The true lives of these 5 unfortunate women jump off the page with every turn. Hallie has a real biographical flair.

And what a passionate conclusion!

lauraisbetteroffread's review

informative sad medium-paced

girl_of_books_and_wheels's review against another edition

Informative, heartfelt and raw, loved it till the end.

beardedwhelk's review

dark informative medium-paced

To turn the question often asked of who is Jack the Ripper? To fascinate upon the crimes in Whitechapel, only to burst that bubble and focus on the humanist element of the victims as women, who have struggled with the hardships and attitudes of their times. This is a very deep piece of research, and well constructed to tell 5 unique stories from Victorian Britain.

It leaves you asking questions of how you would have lived at the time, what class? What work? What attitudes? How and what would I have done to survive?

The vitriol the author received by the researchers of the Ripper story in real life further illustrates while we have come so far in over a 100 years in attitudes towards women; some things cannot be changed or challenged in traditionalist minds.

This has challenged me to take a look at myself and question my interactions to see if there are unconscious biases to address, be diverse and inclusive of those around me, and to look at a story with the lens of the bigger picture, rather than the headline at the centre.

marisareads82's review

challenging dark informative mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

sarahbeth97's review

challenging dark sad slow-paced

kemlynnhotmailcom's review against another edition

Glad I didn't live during the Victorian Era,