et015's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful mysterious medium-paced

milkyboos's review against another edition

holding these four wonderful children in my heart forever

arushi_a13's review against another edition

Hehe....I faked sleeping every time my dad came into my room to see if I was awake. But I was reading until I finished the book.

abileigh's review against another edition

I loved this book, almost as much as the first. Some parts got a little bit on the confusing side, but it was just as exciting as the first one. I would recommend this whole series to anyone who loves adventure.

chinchillas's review against another edition

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey

Kate, Reynie, Sticky, and Constance are very excited about a fabulous event planned for them by Mr. Benedict and their parents. But something goes terribly wrong. In the first book in the series the children figure out that Mr. Curtain is Mr. Benedict's evil twin brother. So far Mr. Curtain is trying to get revenge from past events which means capturing his brother, Mr. Benedict. Instead of listening to their parents, the children decide run away from home to rescue Mr. Benedict. The children are guided by the clues that Mr. Benedict made. They each must solve and find various clues testing their strengths and weakness. Will they follow the clues and make it to Mr.Benedict? Or will they fail to succeed?
Trenton Lee Stewart helps readers understand that people can be changed by others. Like a character who worked for Mr. Curtain. She hated the members of the Mysterious Benedict Society. But in a time of danger Mr. Curtain left her to die. Afterwards she, helped the Mysterious Benedict Society and is no longer working for Mr. Curtain, and told them his plans.
Readers will enjoy this book because it has many wonderful aspects. Such as adventure and mystery. It also has a low level of violence. Even though there is not much violence, it still is very action packed and exciting.

smurf's review against another edition

I still enjoyed the first book in the trilogy but I must say, for a sequel it was very good. The Society finds themselves on a hair raising adventure with as many twists and turns as their first. You can tell the kids are a bit older, smarter, and more mature, and it shows with how they handle themselves throughout some serious moments. Definitely another captivating book by Trenton Lee Stewart. Very good.

bennse2's review against another edition

Clever, sweet, interesting. Recommend these for youngsters grade 5 and under, maybe slightly older. And obviously to us older YA readers. Cough cough.

mackle13's review against another edition

First let me say that, despite my rating, this wasn't a bad book. And I'm gonna be upfront that the book I'd wanted to read at the time wasn't available and I picked this as a back-up, so it's possible that it just didn't quite fill the gap.

That said - while I enjoyed the first book well enough, this one just didn't quite hit the same spot. Now, granted, I only gave the first book, like, 3.5, so it's not like I was blown away by it or anything, but I liked the mystery and there was some suspense and stuff. I never really felt the same suspense in this book, and it felt like it sort of just moved from one plot point to the next.

I also didn't feel like there was really any character growth, with the possible exception of Constance (thankfully). Stewart tried to give all the characters a foible/failing or two in the book - a time when they didn't make the right call or do the right thing - but these seemed to be mostly glossed over and nothing of any long-term consequence ever came of it.

Anyway -

It was an ok enough book, just didn't seem to have the charm of the first one. I'll most likely continue with the series, though.

anikavehn's review against another edition

I really really really really x5 like this series. The second book was a bit slow compared to the first, but still absolutely great. All the characters are so diverse and fun, and I've put off reading the third book for a while now, but I think I'll get on it soon! Though it is considered a children's series, it's so well written with a bit of a complex plot and writing style, I don't see why anyone shouldn't read it.

campbell_mystery's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced