Homie by Danez Smith

darahsspine_'s review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

bramlee's review against another edition

emotional funny sad fast-paced

meaghanelizabook's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny inspiring reflective medium-paced

priyankad's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective

ryliereadss's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful inspiring fast-paced

A queer man of color talks about his experience in the world through poetry. Topics of his poems include queer love, calling together his people, and trees. My favorite one was about how poetry can be whatever you want it to be. Smith is amazing at creating metaphors and word play. It was fantastic to hear him perform his poems.

hashbrownhedgehog's review

Hard not to compare it to Don’t Call Us Dead. I think partially because of comparing it to Don’t Call Us Dead, it might be closer to a 4.75 but rating it a 5 because I think it some of the poems might be better on reread + reflection. This collection has some of my favorite poems and some lines are so spectacular.

shyfroglet's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

savvylit's review against another edition

emotional reflective fast-paced

"& how many times have you loved me without my asking? how often have i loved a thing because you loved it? including me"

Homie is a declaration of enduring and joyous love. Smith's deep compassion for their friends is a uniting theme in this structurally playful collection. Smith weaves their own identity as a Black, poz, queer, and nonbinary person through poems that capture how loving & living can be frustrating and beautiful at the same time.
This was my second read for #transrightsreadathon 2024.

theeuphoriczat's review against another edition

Few weeks ago, I read Don't Call Us Dead and I realised that I have a new favourite Poet! Danez Smith has me in the palm of their hands and that is where I could love to stay.

In this collection, Danez explores race, queerness and intimacy through the lens of joy, friendship and grief. It was extremely moving and there is a tender power to each poem and the grief of loss is very striking as you progress through the collection. Suicide comes up often in Danez's work as we see in Don't Call Us Dead but in Homie, Danez contextualizes this loss and it is heartbreaking. The poem 'for Andrew' moved me to tears and my favourite poem what was said at the bus stop' which reinvigorated my thirst for solidarity.

When Danez said "What advice do the drowned have for the burned? What gossip is there between the hanged & the buried?" I felt it in my gut

In 'say it with your whole black mouth', where Danez says "they murder us for the crime of their imaginations ... I did not come to preach of peace for that's not the hunted's duty." I felt that in my stomach. War machines concort some fear and then unleash their weapon but yet call for those they hunt to maintain peace.

In the poem 'my nig' I cried. Yes, Danez says "there is already so much trying to end us so let it not include our hands today, let us not be dead & red-handed for it not today, not never, not yet." And I will stop here.

shelleycanbfrank's review against another edition

emotional fast-paced