Single Riders: A YA Novella, by Selys Rivera

stephawithbooks's review

If you’re looking for a good YA book that can be super relatable then this is definitely right for you! I loved that in this book we talk about important themes and get to see amazing queer representation (and a bit of education too!). You meet three lovely characters that come from different backgrounds that come together and connect immediately. It just shows you that you can meet impactful people that can better your lives in just a short amount of time. Amazing book Selys!

natanacreativepineapple's review

Coming out November 1st!

I was provided a digital ARC and this is my honest review of the novella.

This is a short read that keeps you engaged, asking questions from start to finish. The story flows with details explaining each main character, their complicated backgrounds, and how they come together to get closure.
The coming of age confrontations in this novella hit me right in the heart. I could put myself in their shoes, all of the main characters, and imagine how I would want the situations to work out. We meet fun, unique individuals who learn communication skills and how to find their own voice.
This was my first read from this author and I’ll be adding more to my TBR!

amanda_rodrigues's review

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

researchraven71's review

Loveable characters. This novella did a wonderful job creating three compelling characters who I enjoyed learning about. Aspects of the writing style was not my favourite but it did not take away from the overall story.

flirting_with_pages's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted reflective medium-paced

Thank you to Selys Rivera for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Single Riders was a quick and easy read. This book begins with our three main characters meeting in a single rider's line while waiting their turn. Throughout, you'll experience each character's internal dilemma and how they solve it later in the book. Although the tw's sound scary these characters do an excellent job tackling each subject. I loved how short this novella was. It was very fun and it did an amazing job addressing serious topics that need to be discussed. Definitely recommend! :)

yadira315's review

funny inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

Thank you to the author for sending me a digital ARC of this novella. I really enjoyed this short and sweet stories about these three strangers that form an unforgettable bond. The story of told from all three point view with made the book more of a conversation that is easy to follows with great descriptive writing that paints a clear picture. Every character is unique and part of the LGBTQIA community in there way giving great representation that we don’t often see on writing. I love the found family tropes and how the book had me smiling throughout. If you’re looking for a quick and sweet read about queer friendships with great diversity you should check this novella out!

heatherli25's review

lighthearted reflective medium-paced

jcone's review

hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

The author provided me a digital ARC of this novella. Here is my honest review.

This book is a perfect day in the life novella where we get a snippet of the issues plaguing our three main characters and see the heartwarming solutions. The idea of befriending the other single riders in line at a roller coaster made for a story and setting filled with joys and thrills. The characters go on a different sort of ride - of highs and lows - as they open up and get to know one another and confront the hurdles stopping them from getting their hearts’ desires. It was very sweet, easy to read novella.

The book is a good introduction to some LGBTQ+ identities and gender orientations with our three main characters each representing the queer community in some way (Duri is cis and bi; Jaya is cis and asexual; Alex is non-binary and seems to prefer men but never identifies a sexual orientation). Our main characters are also ethnically and racially diverse representing East Asian heritage (specifically Korean), Indian heritage, and African American.

A longer story would have allowed for each character’s voice to develop a little further and make the conclusions a little more cathartic and a little less clichéd but for a novella, this was a quick and enjoyable read where we get to see queer characters find friendship, happiness and hope in a way that is still super significant for the fiction industry.

selysrivera's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing medium-paced
Editorial Review:

“I truly loved this story and every single one of the characters! I found the portrayal of these relationships and their growing friendship to be extremely heartwarming, realistic and relevant.” - Amanda Rodrigues, Author*

“It’s heartwarming in general, but the ending particularly so.” - Anthony Woodside, Writer*

“It felt like being in high school again and re-living an interesting night out with a great group of friends.” - S.C. Muir, Author*

*Received a copy from the author in the hopes of an honest review.