Red Heir, by Lisa Henry, Sarah Honey

mijpearl's review

Rating: 4.5 stars

nigmatillium's review

This novel was delightful! I'm not sure where to start on the things I liked about it, but I will say this: I finally found a collab novel where the two authors aren't clashing in style and don't read like bad RPG. I have no idea which part of this was Lisa Henry (who is becoming one of my favourite authors) and which was Sarah Honey (who's upcoming works I am very interested in after reading this).

Red Heir (love the cover, by the way) is a fantasy M/M novel and has all of that and even more. You might expect a fantasy like language (I know I did), but it is very contemporary and I found that to be hilarious.

The novel is filled with sexual innuendos and I liked each and every one of them, even Loth's jokes. I think he was supposed to be annoying, by all means he should have been annoying, but he was actually funny. Loth is not what I would describe as a nice person, he's a pickpocket and doesn't hesitate to claim being someone else when it benefits him. He learns a few things along the way, but I liked him from the start anyway.

Quinn on the other hand was a sweetheart and I loved him and his hair. He is courageous and determined and adorable. He is also open to try all kinds of new things and I was so very happy about that.

Ada, Calarian, and Dave were also great, I liked their personalities a lot and they sure made the whole adventure more fun. I really couldn't have hoped for a better team to save a prince. Or two. Oh, and I cannot forget about Pie, I would want nothing but cuddle Pie.
Did I leave anyone out? No, I don't think so.

Looking at the plot of the novel, this is definitely an adventure story, our heroes are on a mission, they encounter enemies, they sometimes get swamped on side quests, and form meaningful friendships. Or not, that may be a bit of a stretch there. There is not a dull moment in the novel, Red Heir takes you on a journey and along the way a beautiful romance starts blooming.

okim2cool4u's review

liked the 1st half :/

hitsu's review

Unapologetically trashy and fun, which is how I like my light gay fantasy reading best.

moux's review

adventurous funny lighthearted medium-paced

This was such a fun audiobook to listen to! It was light and funny and I REALLY want to create an orc/ half orc character in my next DND game based off of Dave - it would be SO much fun!

billyfancypants's review

adventurous funny lighthearted

breadnet's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

aubrey87's review against another edition