Better Than the Movies, by Lynn Painter

ghostly_lina's review against another edition

Well, I saw so many people raving about this book that I decided to check it out. Especially since it apparently had one of my favorite "tropes" (if you can call it that) in romance, that being a "fake-out love interest" (where the main character is into one character/you as the reader think the love interest is this one specific character, only to figure  out as the story goes on that the true love interest is another character entirely. It's a hard trope to recommend to, because it usally includes spoilers...).

My problems with this book began with the main character and the way she is written. I had the same problem with Liz that I had with Macy from "Love and Other Words". That is to say, I found her character to revolve solene around her dead mother and not much else. Sure, she likes Taylor Swift and reading and Rom-Coms but she strongly correlates this things with her mother. While I did think she was a way less egregious version of this problem than Macy was, it still bothered me.

Then, I never believed Michael as the love interest or had any sort of connection to him. He didn't feel like a character, just a means to get Liz and Wes working together.

Wes was fine, too. I didn't love him nearly as much as other people love him, though. I thought he was very typical - which isnt necessarily bad - but people on social media act as if he's the greatest love interest ever and I found him to be underwhelming. He is a baseball (or was it basketball?) player who smokes for funsies on his backyard and is super handsome, but obviously not as classicaly as the OG love inteterest (Michael).

Anyhow, I also could not connect with the writing. At all.
So, yeah.

royalgeeknessmxreads's review against another edition

such a cute enemies to lovers YA book ♥️

I enjoyed every last bit of this ♥️

The rom com references, the fake dating trope

can’t wait to hear the Liz and Wes soundtrack

soutfi's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

ayahusein02's review against another edition

3.5/5

so cute

isabellaperno's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

camilabooks2022's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted slow-paced

takealookinsideabook's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

natashaahmed's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

kimi_'s review against another edition

the main character is a bit annoying but i think she has to be to fulfill her “hopeless romantic” trope.

kindakassiee's review against another edition

Cute and funny. Neighbors/“enemies” (in this case it just means they banter like crazy) I really on wish we got them more as a couple. Slowburn, fluffy, fun. 4.5/5⭐️