Reviews tagging Cursing

Better Than the Movies, by Lynn Painter

imstephtacular's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

farrengreen's review against another edition

funny hopeful tense fast-paced

BTTM has some really good parts that I loved, especially around the middle, but personally I didn’t like the ending. It felt awkwardly rushed.

lucymae0515's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing slow-paced

marissa_cozy's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

jillkaarlela's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

Taylor swift songs: “our song”, “Glitch”

This one is for the hopeless romantics out there, the ones who watch romcoms and dream of a love like that. This was incredible adorable, and in fact, “better than the movies”. Fake dating, boy next door, enemies to lovers, and great banter!! I loved the meta-ness of the romcom about romcoms. It had so many romcom tropes, but was still very very enjoyable. Even though the concept wasn’t new it still felt so completely original and captivating. The whole things just makes you smile and feel all of the warm fuzzies. I definitely recommend this ya romcom. Focuses heavily on soundtrack, (bc the main character wants to be a soundtrack curator) and there is a soundtrack for the book at the end, which was a great touch. I read this so quickly, I couldn’t get enough. I can’t say enough great things about this book.  The chemistry between Liz and Wes is palpable, and I completely feel in love with these characters by the end. I would love to see this actually as a movie!!

Age rating: around 13+ (closed door)

marinarathesauce's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

Really funny and swoony read that I enjoyed a lot. Wes and Liz’s banter is amazing and the best part of the book imo! Liz is pretty immature and almost painfully oblivious at times and her lies annoyed me but that’s my only gripe.

khloereads86's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted fast-paced

This was pretty cute. I loved Wes, he was super sweet and funny. Liz was pretty annoying early on but got a little better. There were a few parts where it was a little confusing because it seemed like things were made out to be bigger than they really were, or it was frustrating how oblivious Liz was and the miscommunication at the end!!!
Overall I really enjoyed it though. It was a quick, sweet read.

kelsey_snowden's review against another edition

I loved all of the romantic-comedy references in this book! I have often wished that I could live within one of those movies, so I really enjoyed seeing Liz trying to write her own rom com. Liz beats herself up when she doesn't live up to the expectations that she has set for herself, and I could really relate to that which made her character feel so real to me. This is my perfect comfort book, complete with quaint second-hand bookstores, alarmingly specific playlists, and loveable characters!

camilleemcl's review against another edition

spearly's review against another edition

lighthearted reflective fast-paced

Thank you NetGalley for providing me an e-arc for review!

"Come on, Liz - at least be honest with yourself. You dress like her, you watch all the shows she watched, and you do everything in your power to behave as if she's writing the screenplay of your life and you're her character."

Better Than the Movies is a cute-as-a-button YA novel that follows Liz as she tries to win the heart of her childhood crush ~who just moved back to town~ with the help of her childhood enemy, Wes.

This book is cute, y'all. It gave my the butterflies. It made me tear up. It made me nostalgic for a time in my life that I didn't even really enjoy when living through it, and yet, it made me hopeful that I could have had a cute rom-com like high school experience in another life.

That said, if I'm being honest, Better Than the Movies felt like a book I've read before. It follows the same plot and clichés as many YA novels that came before it. Was it still an enjoyable read? Yes. But it didn't add anything new or unexpected to the genre.

The strongest part of the story for me was Liz's
Spoiler grief, her aversion to becoming too close with her awesome step-mother, Helena, and her hesitancy to enjoy her senior year without her mom. Those all felt like very real internal conflicts, and the decisions Liz made based on them were all the more emotional for it. I was glad to see her grow in that way throughout the story.

Otherwise, I really have to remember what it was like to be a teenager, because Liz's character could be... very frustrating. Look, I understand teen books need conflict too. I get it. Was I woefully uncommunicative and prone to petty misunderstandings and fights when I was that age? I mean, probably. And yet I still felt iffy about some of the book's main conflicts and character choices. The miscommunications felt weak and her lying seemed to be added just for the sake of some c-plot conflict with her best friend.

And Wes. Of course, as to be expected, he's as charming, witty, and secretly-pining as YA love interests come, though I'm not sure how much I enjoyed the subtle "oh-he's-teasing-you-cause-he-likes-you" narrative we got from their childhood rivalry (that Liz obviously doesn't pick up on). And much as I enjoyed him as a character (I'm a sucker for characters that pine), he felt wholly unremarkable. If you'd hidden his name, I could have thought he was Jackson from Kasie West's Moment of Truth, Asher from Jessica Pennington's Meet Me at Midnight, or Finn from Kate Brian's Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys.

I don't want to get too specific, as obviously this book isn't out yet and people have the right to be surprised, but I will say that the ending, for me, was pretty underwhelming. I wanted speaker-above-the-head confessions! Crying in the rain! Grand gestures!

There were a few writing things that Painter included that felt a bit try-hard. I'm of the belief that current gen-z slang changes so quickly that it's futile to try and include in. What's in when you're writing will almost certainly not be when the book is published. In Better Than the Movie's case, Painter had Liz say "I am shook" (which, on top of just being a cringe slang in general, just doesn't feel in keeping with her character), and also has Helena, Liz's step-mom, say "bet". It was off-putting.

For a book with such a focus on rom-com movies, I would have actually liked to see more rom-com tropes. I thought, in Liz's attempt to woo Michael, her and Wes would have teamed up to manufacture a few cliché moments. I actually thought that would be the entire premise of the book!

Overall, this fluffy book will definitely give you the warm-and-fuzzies. It's pretty much everything you can expect from a YA romance set in high school, so as long as you go in with those expectations, you should have no problem flying through this like me!