Reviews tagging Grief

Better Than the Movies, by Lynn Painter

serena_hien's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

maisiepamela's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! It was so cute and had so many good tropes in it that were written amazingly! Wes and liz were adorable through the whole book and they were enemies to LOVERS 💖💖💖💖💖! oh my gosh I loved all the movie and song references, it was cool that they were in the book- it just makes the characters seem more real. Also the whole end- MY HEART BROKE!! Not with sadness but happiness! It was so adorable, and it had so many cute moments between Wes and liz. Sometimes liz did do some really stupid things but she fixed them, which I loved!! However, I hated Michael from the start, he was not right for Liz, only Wes is and ever will be! Plus he was an idiot for not liking her in the first place! I loved this book so much a new fav!

daijastoughton's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

imstephtacular's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

lezlo3010's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

kelegrace's review against another edition

funny hopeful medium-paced

anewton's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

This is an utterly delightful read. Beautifully cliche, funny and easy to read, with a feel-good ending.

considerthelily's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

Such a sweet book! The main couple have a lot of chemistry that goes far beyond “we hate each other but he’s hot.” I also felt that the main character had a really satisfying arc of dealing with her grief and realizing how she had been in the wrong. Funny, and I *love* the dialogue. Super enjoyable.

Small critique: I find some of the more recent pop filter references, specifically the addition of song lyrics, was kind of off-putting.

Bigger critique, which is why I didn’t rate the book higher: I feel the story really loses a lot of steam after
Spoilerthe first kiss. The scene in the living room at the movie night had so much tension, but the final 30% of the book moves a lot more slowly because the conflicts feel contrived. I mostly stuck around because I was so invested in Wes and Liz

I will also note that if you hate the
Spoiler miscommunication
trope, this is not going to be the book for you. It ends up driving some plot elements at the end. It’s not a trope I mind too terribly, but if you hate this trope with your whole heart this book is probably not going to be a good fit.

I also recommend this for people who want no-spice/closed door romance rec (I heard it recommended in a Hailey Pham video on no-spice romance books). There’s one kissing scene and a little bit of innuendo, but it’s a clean book on the whole

insanelyfruity's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

an absolutely adorable and heart-warming book. it was very wattpad-y in the way it was written and the way certain gender roles seemed to be forced. I'm a sucker for a good enemies-to-lovers and this certainly delivered. it was ofcourse predictable in the way books of this trope are, but it's fun anyway to see it all play out.
it was slightly annoying how the mc was constantly sort of described as 'not-like-other-girls' because that was slightly too 90s rom-com even for me.
overall, I loved it and this would be so enjoyable as a movie.
loved the whole soundtrack thing too, that playlist at the end is definitely going to stay with me.

Spoiler"I fell in love with teasing you in the second grade, when I first discovered that I could turn your cheeks pink with just a word. Then I fell in love with you."

fedekanejbrainrot's review against another edition

funny medium-paced

it was funny and very well written but I never really connected with the story sadly