Reviews for A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith

cashmama1's review against another edition

I was unprepared for how emotional and epic this book is! I found myself crying several times and unable to tear myself away from the story. It is amazingly written and such a good examination of life in 1900s Brooklyn tenements. I really loved the strong women, especially Sissy and Mary Rommely. It had a few too many heartbreaking scenes in it for me to give it 5 stars (I prefer happy tears), but it is definitely worth reading!

knit1purfle2's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad slow-paced

kh2912's review

emotional reflective sad slow-paced

miss_tricia's review against another edition

I can see why Smith's novel is a classic. There were a lot of interesting points to ponder, especially lying to our kids about Santa Clause, our kids lying back to us, and the way the "lower class" in the US views itself.

angelaf's review

emotional relaxing medium-paced

What a wonderful book! I wasn't so sure about it when my book club decided to read a "children's classic." It really isn't a children's classic, though. While it is about growing up in the tenements of Brooklyn in the early 20th century, it is about so much more than that. If you haven't read this classic, read it now. (For those of you with a NC connection, the author wrote the book while living on Rosemary Street in Chapel Hill.)

lonna's review against another edition

I want to give this book four stars. Most of the book was captivating, and the author uses lovely language. The character development was excellent. The characters were complex, and I loved them warts and all. I had to drop my rating to three stars, though, because there were too many parts that dragged on without keeping me engaged. As much as I love the characters, there had to be a more complex plot for me to give it the four stars I would have liked to give.

Update: I just can't help it. Even though the plot was lacking and I lost engagement in certain parts, there is something special about a book that haunts. And this one certainly did. Several days after reading it, I just can't stop thinking about the characters and some of the scenes. It deserves four stars. It made a lasting impression in my mind and will probably be a book that I go back to again after several years. There aren't many books that I would say I would read multiple times.

cchang21's review against another edition

I still finished it, so maybe it deserves more than one star, but honestly, I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Yes, it was sad, and yes I can see why some would say it's "uplifting", but I just really didn't feel anything at all after reading this, except relief that it was over.

librarianlaurad's review against another edition

This is the number one book I recommend as a coming of age for girls title. I just loved it.

amolso2's review against another edition

I read this book when I was a teenager and absolutely loved it and raved about it so much that my dad read it. He didn't like it as much, but he still thought that it was good.

so I just finished reading this book for the 2nd time (12/10/15). I still love it!! such a heart warming story about a poor brooklyn family toiling away their days to improve their lot in life.

kaelynreads's review

challenging funny reflective sad medium-paced