Letter 44 #2, by Alberto Jimenez Alburquerque, Charles Soule

ejdecoster's review against another edition

A bit visually chunky, but really interesting plot and characters.

thecommonswings's review against another edition

The best thing about Image effectively taking on the role of mature comic publisher of choice from Vertigo, is that it broke away from the cluster of Vertigo big names and allowed for a broader range of styles and writers/ artists. As I’ve said before, the American comic industry has gone full circle from robbing creators from 2000AD to actually producing comics that feel very close to what the prog currently publishes. And because Image has been so successful, the knock on effect has allowed other publishers - Oni in this case - to also take part in all this. And Letter 44 feels so completely like something from the prog or Megazine it’s fascinating, like it’s something unfamiliar trying something familiar

Letter 44 starts from a very simple idea but is patiently - and nicely unshowily - allowing that idea to flourish and grow to other ideas. It’s very organic and traditional in places, but there’s hints around the edges of something darker and more unexpected and stranger developing. As such this first volume more than prepares you to read on. I really enjoyed it and even grew to appreciate the art, which is in a style that usually I don’t enjoy much. Looking forward to seeing where this goes next

beyadob's review against another edition

Intriguing premise. I initially thought the politics would detract from the first contact story, but man, oh man, it was much better than I expected.

I like the mystery surrounding the aliens, too. I especially enjoyed the dynamic between the astronauts. The President's story, meanwhile, was compelling in the generic drama sort of way, but the twists made it far more interesting than expected.

Good beginning. Can't wait to read more.

justanotherbooknerd's review against another edition

I enjoyed the story but the art style was definitely not my favorite and it made it difficult to understand what was happening at certain points. This is especially true since the art style make it difficult for me to tell certain characters apart.

subductionzone's review against another edition

Honestly a pretty interesting story. Can’t wait to continue the series. I’ve just got to get my hand on the next novel!

ethancf's review against another edition

Reads a lot like it's trying to be BKV, but is entirely too pulpy/edgy to actually be thought provoking or nuanced in any way (Blades and Carroll are the clumsiest Obama/Bush analogs, hilariously unsubtle). Feels weird to say this after a first volume but it feels like a series that will forget itself halfway through, all concept and no execution.

That said, this is a terrific first volume. While the politics are clumsily handled, they are actually a fantastic thought experiment. As a piece of speculative fiction, this poses a lot of great "what if's", and is ultimately readable and compelling despite its flaws.

hobbes199's review against another edition

3.5 stars.
A good mix of space adventure and political intrigue. Solid start to the series.
Full review to follow.

flaviaaalouise's review against another edition

I was provided with the first half of this on NetGalley and though it was promising I wasn't 100% sold.

alexandra_92's review against another edition

I received an e-ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A really good start in this new sci-fi series. With lots of political issues, adventure and this damn secret! I'm really wondering how the crew will really make it through all this.

skylarprimm's review against another edition

Earth-bound political machinations mixed with mysterious space exploration. This book hits a Venn diagram of my interests, for sure.