El Deafo, by David Lasky, Cece Bell

annegirl's review against another edition

This is a great graphic novel and I plan on having my daughter read it as well. It not only gives you a glimpse into the life and thoughts of the main girl that loses her hearing after a sickness but also I think any kid can relate to a lot of what she goes through. I really enjoyed it and I think it is an important book for kids.

tealmango's review against another edition

Read the full review here: http://newberyandbeyond.com/newbery-reviews-el-deafo-and-george-washingtons-world/

El Deafo is a cute graphic novel that tackles the joys and difficulties of growing up deaf. It’s based on the author’s experiences, which I loved. This book definitely deserves the Newbery honor it received–it’s well written and drawn, and it offers representation to an underrepresented group. You’ll enjoy the book if you want to learn more about growing up deaf, but every kid will also be able to relate to the topic of not fitting in.

sofiagobin's review against another edition

One of those okay books.... very diverse though.

maidmarianlib's review

Beautifully done, a great story that gives you a lot to think about, the graphic format really adds to the emotions of the story.

krossva's review against another edition

funny hopeful informative inspiring medium-paced

lindick's review against another edition

Adorable! And important.

kellyt_abc's review against another edition

Funny and moving with a universal appeal to our desire to connect.

msthibert611's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative inspiring fast-paced

ancaszilagyi's review against another edition

I picked this up for the "recommended by a young person square" in Summer Book Bingo. A tender look at growing up deaf. My favorite moment: Cece (the author / protagonist) entering a kindergarten for deaf children learning to lip read: "Most of the time we are lost, drifting along on our own planets. But we are together in the same universe, at least."

maestrolatinx's review against another edition

An endearing and heartwarming story about growing up with disabilities in a world that is not always inclusive. Cece is not perfect but is realistic with fears that every kid can relate to. The lessons and portrayal of friendship jump right out the page. Really enjoyed the art and bunnies!