Archenemies, by Marissa Meyer

merlin_reads's review against another edition

Ok, now we are getting down to the nitty gritty. I enjoyed this one more than the first because it delves deeper into the good vs evil/heroes vs villains story. While the first book was mostly set up with the characters and this histories and what they stand for, the second installment focuses more on corruption of power and the power of choice.

Nova is still driving me nuts, more here because in her mind she knows something is wrong and just refuses to ignore her instincts. She refuses to challenge what's before her. She only wants to destroy the Renegades, even when she sees goodness or hope, she's just like, but they didn't save my family! She's so stuck in the past. And I get it, she went through something tragic. But I honestly don't believe everything went down the way she thinks it did. She's unable to move on and grow and ultimately this is hurting her as a character. I also hate how she knows playing with Adrians emotions is wrong but yet still does it because she feels something for him too so it will all balance out. Just no.

One of my favorite things about this book was how Meyer showed the corruption of power. Most noticeably with the creation of the serum that removes Renegades power. It brings into question who has the right to decide who keeps powers? Why do the Renegades get the final say? What are the parameters of this judgment? And what about the abuse of power? I loved how she played with these questions and I just know it will carry over into the next book.

This was a solid middle book. It progressed the plot and the characters. It raised stakes and brought to light the faults within this world structure. I'm super excited going into the final book and I can't wait to see how this all plays out.

panicgarden's review

adventurous tense medium-paced

I absolutely love Marissa Meyer, her writing is amazing, an easy, enjoyable read.
That being said, I love the world she created and how this trilogy constantly questions the black and white world, heroes vs villains, we can be so used to; villains can have good motivations, heroes can become power hungry and the way this is presented thru the characters amazes me, they are very likable and well constructed. Specially how they are starting to see what the “other side” looks like.
Things definitely got more complicated, with feelings and other complications involved.
I can’t wait to read the next book.

elsss's review

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

sierranevada005's review against another edition

Wow! I read the first Renegades book like two years ago and loved it, but for whatever reason I never picked up the sequel. But a few days ago I needed an audiobook ASAP, and this was the first one that was available on the library app. After a bit of plot googling, I immediately fell back into the familiar characters and story. I LOVE the concept of this story. The superheroes and alter egos and secrets and intrigue makes me so happy. The relationship between Nova and Adrian took center stage in this specific book, and I was living for it. Marissa Meyer does such a great job building a world that you can feel immersed in and characters you can see as real people. Plus the voice actors in the audio were so good! 100% a five star listen. Jumping into the final book next!

joss_vls's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced

vgilbert5575's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

mader716's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

enswbl's review against another edition

[4.5]

burniereads's review against another edition

I loathe how much distress this book makes me feel. I read this right after reading Renegades and I am slightly mad that I don't already have Supernova in my hands so I can continue.

This series has just reminded me of how much I love Marissa Meyer's work. The character's stories are so intricately woven and the relationships feel real and human. Adrian has quickly become my new book boyfriend and no one can stop me. I love him... so much?

The way that it's written so that both characters are able to have massively different opinions and to have the reader agreeing with both points is awesome. You never really know which side is right and which is wrong and it adds a layer of depth to the world and characters that I don't see too often in young adult fiction.

All in all, I need the next book ASAP.

maddisreadingcorner's review against another edition

DNF

made it to 28% like two years ago, I have all three books so maybe one day I’ll finish??? or maybe I’ll donate and just look at the spoilers lmaoo