Reviews for Jackpot, by Nic Stone

agirlsnightbookbash's review against another edition

As a rule I don't typically enjoy when authors do there own narration for novels. This book is an exception. Nic Stone does a good job voice acting throughout Jackpot and my only complaint is that sometimes it was hard to tell which character was talking.

The story is fun and something I think we can all relate to dreaming about. Winning the lottery. Both Rico and Zan are mostly likeable teenagers (both with annoying traits that teenagers generally have) searching for a life changing slip of paper. This book is charming, funny and relatable. It will also make you sad and make you think. Looking forward to reading more from Nic Stone.

greenlivingaudioworm's review against another edition

"There are few things worse for a poor kid than working up the courage to hope and then having that hope pulverized down to subatomic particles beneath the weight of (another) disappointment."

I'm not sure what I expected from this book, but I definitely was not expecting a contemporary romance from the legendary [a:Nic Stone|13525503|Nic Stone|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1473479285p2/13525503.jpg]. That just goes to show you how wrong you can be when you go blindly into a book. I really liked this book. Is Nic Stone my favorite contemporary romance author? No. But, she has definitely made a name for herself as an incredibly talented writer. I have read [b:Dear Martin|24974996|Dear Martin (Dear Martin, #1)|Nic Stone|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1495747080l/24974996._SY75_.jpg|44640226] and [b:Clean Getaway|49917829|Clean Getaway|Nic Stone|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1569285842l/49917829._SX50_SY75_.jpg|66485273] which are both vastly different styles of writing. However, Nic Stone has proven herself as a widely diverse and gifted writer for readers of all ages and of all interests. Nic has such a way with words and giving her characters very real and unique personalities that it's impossible to forget the characters she's created.

[b:Jackpot|36077176|Jackpot|Nic Stone|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1557419274l/36077176._SY75_.jpg|57664093] follows the story of Rico Danger (pronounced DON-gur) who spends most of her time outside of school working at a local convenience store to help her mother make ends meet. She lives in a small apartment with her mom and little brother, Jax. Jax is often sick but they don't have health insurance and doctors cost too much money. On Christmas Eve, Rico sells a little old lady two lottery tickets. The old lady gives one back to Rico as a Christmas present. When the winning lottery numbers are announced and word has gotten out that one of the winning tickets was sold at her convenience store, Rico sets out on a mission to find the little old lady. Rico is certain she grabbed the wrong ticket from the lady and is ready to set the record straight. She enlists the help of Zan Macklin, a fellow classmate who also happened to be at the gas station on Christmas Eve and saw the little old lady. Together Rico and Zan take off on an adventure that is sure to be a winner.

I listened to this book on audio after the suggestion from a friend who knows how much I love audiobooks. She told me Nic Stone herself narrates this book and it was well done. Umm hello. YES YES YES to this audiobook. Nic Stone should probably narrate all of her books because it was so much fun listening to her read her own work and breathe life into her characters. The audiobook was so well done - thank you Aly for the recommendation!

This book was near perfect. I thought I was a Nic Stone fan, but now I'm that girl crying in the front row of an author chat because there's Nic Stone and I love her work. Bravo.

Jackpot should be enjoyed by readers in 8th grade and up.

TW: parental manipulation

eli05's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

cmhartjes's review against another edition

I really wanted to give this 5 stars while I was reading it! But ultimately, the ending really let me down. A great story with a romance I was excited about, but it could’ve benefitted from further development and ugh, just a better ending. I was genuinely annoyed for hours after finishing it.

maellis's review against another edition

3.5/5

emmaguthrie's review

adventurous hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

linm's review

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

crtney's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced