All's Well That Ends Well, by William Shakespeare

opheliastears's review against another edition

adventurous funny inspiring lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

darlingbudsofrae's review against another edition

so,, is no one going to tell me that the duke and i was inspired by this?

ps.
i'm kidding, they're not really inspired as far as i know,, but they do share the same problematic sentiments so there lol
pps.
all's well that ends well cuz i'm in a new hell every time i'm reminded i can't possibly like every single one of shakespeare's work argh
ppps.
no one pay this attention, i'm deleting this in the morning lololol

itacuz's review against another edition

It's not his best work, but it's not his worst work either. I found myself imagining cuts of the script that would allow for a take on the show in 2020 that doesn't make you hate half the cast, but you would really have to cut and splice to make that playable. Good luck if this is your next undertaking, it certainly won't be mine.

calistareads's review against another edition

As far as the comedies, this is not high on my list of Shakespeare, but it wasn't bad.

tabeam's review against another edition

adventurous funny tense fast-paced

prof_pelon's review against another edition

Not my favorite Shakespeare but glad to say I have read it.

nwhyte's review against another edition

http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1167627.html[return][return]I knew almost nothing about this play, but really enjoyed it. The plot is very straightforward: the modestly born but intelligent Helena fulfills the conditions set by her reluctant husband, by tricking him into having sex with her while under the impression that she is someone else. Also there's a subplot with his dubious friend Parolles getting publicly humiliated. Slightly tricky to do this well, I imagine: Helena has to engage the audience's sympathy, and Bertram's reluctance to allow her to be foisted on him turns around rather rapidly in the last scene; also Parolles has to be sufficiently unpleasant that the audience laughs at his downfall rather than sympathising with him. But Arkangel largely make it work, with Emily Woof (whose name I don't remember from anything else, and I think I would have done) excellent as Helena, and good old Clive Swift an impressive King of France, cured by her medical knowledge. (Is there any earlier depiction of a woman doctor in literature? I see this story comes from Boccaccio, but Shakespeare may have introduced that detail.) An unexpected pleasure, and I put other reading aside to finish it on my way home.

rustle_sprouts's review against another edition

hmmmm a "problem play" indeed.

pihlen76's review against another edition

challenging funny lighthearted medium-paced

nw_tassia's review against another edition

I am a huge Shakespeare fan (finally) but I don't consider this play to be a comedy, as it's said to be. I'm writing an essay on it now and I think even the ending, which is supposed to be happy and resolved in a comedy, is not so in All's Well. For the characters it seems like a compromise and their future looks bleak. Unrequited love is never desirable, but being trapped in a loveless relationship is hardly the humourous ending I expected from Shakespeare. It seems to have a different layout from some of his other comedies, not ending in a marriage. It is not my favourite of his plays, but that's not to say I didn't like it.