Tin, by Pádraig Kenny

caittweddle's review

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

ciaravr's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

engpunk77's review

A middle grade quest story for avid readers with great vocabularies, set in a world populated with robots/animated mechanics. Themes: identity, good vs. evil, family, friendship. Lovable characters give you warm feelings, lots of action, and not accessible to struggling readers. Surprisingly, with the reading level, there's not a lot of philosophical fodder like you'd expect. It's more like [b:The Wild Robot|26030734|The Wild Robot (The Wild Robot, #1)|Peter Brown|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1441052184l/26030734._SX50_.jpg|45956901] for a higher level reader.

Personal sidenote: "This single-minded intensity was Estelle's version of happiness." I love this sentence. I've never seen anyone else explain it this way, and it rings true for me. I truly feel happiest when I'm feverishly working on something I've deemed important, even more so than when I'm curled up on the couch with a book, in a loved one's arms, or sitting on the beach with an entire summer vacation spread out before me. I'm a worker.

teri_b's review against another edition

I am back with reading middle grade and have discovered another amazing read from my local library with the audiobook of this book.

This book holds so much representation of friendship, of family own and found, of not being quite right and yet having to live your life and of living through difficult moments but finding answers in the end.

There is representation and discussion of disability and disfigurement in this book.

misslupescu's review against another edition

This is a wonderful story. One of my faves so far this year and will most likely remain high on the list. 😊

stevies_shenanigans's review

It's a children's book and I read it as such.
I mostly read adult fantasy/Sci-fi, O was not looking at it from that perspective.

This was a wonderful story.
I fell in love with the characters and world they belong to.

I am so glad the shop assistant recommended this little treasure to me. I know it's one I will read again and again.

It made me cry at the end (in a good way) , and that's all you need to know.

awesome514's review

A well-written and enjoyable read. It was very easy to become invested in the characters, but, as an adult reader, I wish that the world-building was a little more developed. Definitely something I will recommend to middle-readers and anyone who loves robots.

missusb21's review

Charming adventure that becomes quite action-packed towards the end.

bybookandbone's review

The premise is strong and I love the setting, I just wish there was more of it.

I'm going to give this book a rare critique of too much action. Instead of expanding on the interesting world or really making you see the characters in your mind's eye, there was almost non-stop action that might as well been manikins fighting.

The climax when on for what felt like forever due to the pretty constant level of action and by the end I was just drained and needed the book to end.

lisasf2f04's review against another edition

Wasn't expecting to like this - am sorry, judged the book by the cover! - but enjoyed it very much. The Mechanicals were beautifully realised and written, and much easier to identify and empathise with than the humans in the story.