Shadow of the Conqueror, by Shad M. Brooks

ducky's review

adventurous challenging dark medium-paced

marlisenicole's review against another edition

Amateurly written. The protagonist is a completely unbelievable character. No character can massacre so many people but also be a hero and have a soft heart. The references to rape are very immature, like a teenage boy telling a D&D storyline. This is how I see this book - an immature D&D geek writing a storyline for a campaign that doesn’t make a lot of sense but has an over-abundance of technical details about power levels, skills, weapons, and clothing with a total lack of believable character development, plot, or grammar.

The overuse and lack of understanding around rape and murder is also quite disturbing and juvenile.

I’m glad I’m done this book. But… the world that begins to be created here has so much potential. Maybe a co-writer or editor could make an amazing series in this world?

davemg's review against another edition

I will start off that I had the audible version so I can not commit on the spelling or grammar error that the other reviews talk about.

Pros:
Story: The story is is really good. This is the first book I read where the main protagonist was the bad guy and is struggling to do good. It was refreshing.
World building: The world is really interesting. There is no night, the land is broken and floating in the sky and if one falls to the bottom they will come out above the land in the sky potentially falling forever.
Magic: It has a hard Magic system which I love and even though you learn a lot there is still a bunch that is still unknown.

Cons:
Characters: Sadly there is not a lot of character development in the first book (hoping that gets fixed in the second book.) Its more of the main character feeling depressed for the majority of the book I did not mind it but it may put some people off.
Information dump: The first 5 to 10 chapters you get a lot of information that it could be overwhelming I had to stop or go back several time to make sure I did not miss anything.
Character is Op: Sometimes the main character can feel overpowered which I understand why he is, but I am hoping in the next book there is some big threat that pushes the character to his limit.
Others
Rape, gender, ect: I seen some people saying they did not like the rape scenes (which is fine) I think he portrayed really well how someone can suffer through that trauma and how it effects a person. Concerning the gender roles in different cultures I enjoyed it. It was refreshing to see different roles and what people found exceptionable.

conclusion
I would give this book 3.1/2 stars, but good reads does not allow half stars. The book was really well done for the authors first book and listening to Michael Kremer and Kate Reading narrate is was music to my ears! I am looking foreword to his next book and the improvements I know will happen!

heidens's review

DNF 30%
This book, I can’t. The protagonist is insufferable, the magic system is over explained.

felix_blomfelt's review

adventurous challenging dark medium-paced

awyxm's review against another edition

Note: listened to audio book.

I'm glad Mr. Brooks really committed to the premise of a truly evil fantasy leader who repents of his crimes. However, the awkward dialog, including frequent info-dumps, greatly reduced my enjoyment of the book - and I am more forgiving of info-dumps than most.

thedorkside's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

mussernj's review

adventurous dark funny medium-paced

curiousdoodler's review

Got a hundred pages in. I didn't like a single character and the constant sexual harassment directed at female characters was awful.

geckocash's review against another edition

I liked the redemption story loved to world building can see why some people might not like it for its unsavory elements but I think the over all story makes up for it