Reviews tagging Cursing

A Gathering of Shadows, by V.E. Schwab

creepypiespice's review

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

the_wandering_wisp's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

claudiamacpherson's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful mysterious medium-paced

Lila has managed to find her way aboard a privateer’s chip (naturally, she is very disappointed that it isn’t a real pirate ship) and convince the charming Captain Alucard to give her lessons in elemental magic. When Alucard turns his ship back towards London for the Essen Tasch tournament, Lila begins to hatch a daring plan. Meanwhile, both Kell and Rhy are chafing against their new bond. Desperate for his brother to let off some steam and stop treating him like glass, Rhy enters Kell in the tournament under a false name. In another world, someone believed to be dead makes a deal with a power older and more dangerous than they can imagine.

It’s rare that a sequel captures the magic and heart of the first book, and rarer still when it improves upon it. This is one of those books. I enjoyed A Darker Shade of Magic, but I really loved A Gathering of Shadows. The expansion of the world—both with Lila’s adventures and the new nations introduced during the tournament—made the story feel richer and deeper. Alucard was a great addition to the cast of characters, and definitely gave me Sturmhond (of Shadow and Bone) vibes with his humor and cunning.

SpoilerI loved the tension between Lila and Kell when they kept narrowly missing each other (the shop! Kell coming by to pay off her debt...but really to see if she’s come back!!). I liked how Schwab didn’t force them together too soon, which would feel out of character for them. I also liked the Rhy/Alucard pairing, though I’d love to see a bit more backstory for them and their history together. I also hope to see more of the Grey London storyline, because I liked Ned and his curiosity in this book.

Happy ending meter (no specific spoilers, just the vibe of the ending):
SpoilerCliffhanger, which is to be expected from the second book in a trilogy. Hopefully I can get my hands on the next book soon!

jinglesmell1337's review against another edition

adventurous dark lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

0.5

yodareads12's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious medium-paced

This book was so good and reminded me why I fell in love with V. E. Schwab after reading the first book in the series!
This book continues to follow the adventures of Kell, Lila, and Rhy. There is an epic game involving magic and some other unexpected visits from some new and old characters.
For those who've never read the first book, this series is about 4 different Londons (Grey, Red, White, and Black) and the different levels of magic contained within each one. Few can pass between them and we get to follow one of those few on their adventures.
I highly recommend for anyone who loves Fantasy! There is very mild cussing in the books.