Reviews tagging Murder

A Gathering of Shadows, by V.E. Schwab

wolfed's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious reflective slow-paced

Found it a much slower burn than the first book, but really enjoyed it more. The world was more fleshed out and there was more time with Kell and Lila
Spoiler separately, the 450 pages it took for them to reunite was worth it. Love Alucard especially and his interactions with everyone.
Very excited to see how it end

creepypiespice's review

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

claudiamacpherson's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful mysterious medium-paced

Lila has managed to find her way aboard a privateer’s chip (naturally, she is very disappointed that it isn’t a real pirate ship) and convince the charming Captain Alucard to give her lessons in elemental magic. When Alucard turns his ship back towards London for the Essen Tasch tournament, Lila begins to hatch a daring plan. Meanwhile, both Kell and Rhy are chafing against their new bond. Desperate for his brother to let off some steam and stop treating him like glass, Rhy enters Kell in the tournament under a false name. In another world, someone believed to be dead makes a deal with a power older and more dangerous than they can imagine.

It’s rare that a sequel captures the magic and heart of the first book, and rarer still when it improves upon it. This is one of those books. I enjoyed A Darker Shade of Magic, but I really loved A Gathering of Shadows. The expansion of the world—both with Lila’s adventures and the new nations introduced during the tournament—made the story feel richer and deeper. Alucard was a great addition to the cast of characters, and definitely gave me Sturmhond (of Shadow and Bone) vibes with his humor and cunning.

SpoilerI loved the tension between Lila and Kell when they kept narrowly missing each other (the shop! Kell coming by to pay off her debt...but really to see if she’s come back!!). I liked how Schwab didn’t force them together too soon, which would feel out of character for them. I also liked the Rhy/Alucard pairing, though I’d love to see a bit more backstory for them and their history together. I also hope to see more of the Grey London storyline, because I liked Ned and his curiosity in this book.

Happy ending meter (no specific spoilers, just the vibe of the ending):
SpoilerCliffhanger, which is to be expected from the second book in a trilogy. Hopefully I can get my hands on the next book soon!

birthisacurse's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

angela_geraci's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense slow-paced

Terrible pacing, but I'm reading the last book because it's exciting and I need to know what happens

jinglesmell1337's review against another edition

adventurous dark lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

0.5

burnsie's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

jenny_librarian's review against another edition

adventurous emotional tense fast-paced

This book very much suffers from middle-book syndrome. If you take out the games, nothing really happens in the plot until the very end. It's mostly character and relationship development for Rhy, Kell and Lila.

However, THE TENSION between those three (and Alucard now)! If you're a Kell/Lila shipper - why wouldn't you be - you're in for a lot of barely missed encounters, stolen moments and hate you/love you outbursts. And I can guarantee you won't be able to resist Rhy and Alucard.

As I said, not much happens to the main plot. We see scenes of White London and the aftermath of Holland's demise in Black London, but it's just bits and pieces in the backgroun until the last 50 pages. The action is firmly centred on the games, which are kind of magic olympics. It's quite interesting, but if you expect to see Kell and LIla travel between worlds the way they did in book 1, you'll be disappointed.

addie_larue's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

lolaslalaland's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

Sequel to A Darker Shade of magic in the Shades of Magic trilogy.

In this second book we mainly follow Delilah Bard in her adventures through this unknown world; as a thief aboard a privateer ship, as a novice mage, and as a girl with trouble trusting anyone due to a harsh past. Lila is a thrill seeking adrenaline addict so it comes as no surprise that when the Element Games come around, she attempts to sneak into them. But she isn't the only one illegally participating in the tournament.

Kell and Rhy face their own troubles with their linked predicament. I found Kell's dilemma in this book to be very emotional for me and truly heartbreaking. The amount of strife he endured was just... sad and lonely and I wish I could give him a hug.

Of course, we encounter a myriad of new characters that are fabulously diverse. Coming from all corners of this fictitious Red London world with different kingdoms. Through the magical games we understand the basic and fragile relationship all the kingdoms have with each other. As someone who enjoys fantasy with political intrigue, I would have wanted a little bit more on this part, but this book isn't about the delicate standing of fantasy politics.

This book is about its characters and a problem that has never quite gone away. But this book isn't about our characters facing it, it's about the set up. And for that reason, I sometimes found it to be slightly lacking in the plot department. There is a lot of background and some truly heartwarming and wrenching moments between our cast, but not a lot of action other than of course the magical games (which I sometimes felt there wasn't enough) and Kell's PoV.

Overall, A Gathering of Shadows was another extremely enjoyable book and I know I would reread it and absolutely love it. V.E. Schwab's writing is by far my favorite thing to read and I cannot wait to get to the third book in this trilogy!