The Subtle Knife, by Philip Pullman

daisymama's review against another edition

Both exciting and depressing, with a depressing cliffhanger ending. Of course I’m going to have to read the third book now, but I’m a little disgruntled about it.

ksteinbauer's review against another edition

Great second book to the series a 4.5 if I could do that. I liked it a little more then the first.

This book expanded the universe massively and is really setting the last book up for a great battle. Can’t wait.

slb05's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

iwburg's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny medium-paced

hazelnuttwirl15's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

paperlove's review against another edition

Leider überhaupt nicht vergleichbar mit dem ersten Band. Ich fand das Buch so langweilig, dass ich es nicht mal zuende lesen konnte.

edboies's review against another edition

Even better than the Golden Compass!

orchidlilly's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

A fascinating sequel to an excellent beginning. This time, we get perspectives beyond Lyra's with more frequency, and I rather like being able to read the story from all sides. We end on a very compelling cliffhanger, ready to start the next book. My only complaint is that in this second part of the trilogy, Lyra loses a good bit of her charm and free will. It's a bit annoying to see Lyra immediately fall into an almost subservient role the second a male character comes into play. Where is that independence and determination that so greatly defined her in the first book?

rouver's review against another edition

We have book 2 in Pullman's anti-christian series. The writing is again pretty well done & the plot moves along at a good rate. This book is set in our world as characters from the first book move in & out of it, either to escape or gain information. We meet the 2nd main character of the series, Will, a boy whose mother is mentally unstable. He finds that there are men who are searching for information about his father and as they question his mother, her condition worsens. Worried that child services will be alerted, he takes action to hide her away at a neighbor's house & remove the documents he thinks the men are after. He accidentally kills one & travels to another parallel universe, where he meets Lyra. The two join forces; to find each of their fathers. (Lyra's is in another world building an army to kill God, Will's disappeared on an expedition when he was an infant).

Again, a book more suitable to older YA due to violence & anti-religious themes.

You'll still be waiting for an explanation of what "Dust" is, introduced in the first book. There are theories, but nothing concrete that gives you that 'a-ha!' moment.

dexteroni's review against another edition

Really picks up I enjoyed this a lot more than The Golden Compass.