Reviews tagging Domestic abuse

All You Knead Is Love, by Tanya Guerrero

emileereadsbooks's review

adventurous emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

Thank you Netgalley and Mac Kids Books for the gifted book!

This book is about identity, community, family, and the power of food in culture. Set in Barcelona, you get a taste of not just the Spanish culture but the Filipino culture in Barcelona as well. Plus the language of the book is interlaced with Spanish and Tagalong phrases so you feel authentically planted in the story with Alba the main character. (there is a glossary at the end for all these words/phrases). This one will have you wanting to stuff your face with bread and you consider the roles of family and community in your life.

onthesamepage's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

When Alba's mother sends her to Barcelona to live with her grandmother, all Alba can feel is abandoned. There seems to be very little hope in the world for her, and even though her grandmother turns out to be nice, she still feels lost. Until she walks into their neighborhood bakery and finds herself swept up in the scent of fresh bread and discovering her passion for baking.

This was a very interesting book that dealt with some pretty heavy topics, primarily the abuse Alba's mom suffers at the hands of her dad and what that has meant for Alba. I think the way the author dealt with this was really good. Alba grows throughout the story, and whereas she at first has the tendency to run away from anything she perceives as conflict, she learns to trust herself and the people around her. It tackles how to deal with grief and disappointments, and is ultimately a story about hope and family.

I loved the setting; I've been to Barcelona once, and it's a great city to wander around in. I could totally imagine myself walking alongside Alba when she was exploring. And of course, all the baking was fantastic. I also really liked the way Spanish, Catalan and Tagalog were used, and that a glossary was included at the end that explains what all the phrases mean.

charleyroxy's review

utopiastateofmind's review

(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

All You Knead is Love warmed my heart. You know that joy of biting into a warm pastry and feeling the warmth in your hands? Of being transported by food to a memory? All You Knead is Love contains all of that. It's an emotional middle grade story about feeling unwanted. About trying to figure out our passions. Alba was such a relatable character, especially as she navigates her relationship with her mother.

As adults, we can observe the ways that Alba is loved and wanted, but that feeling is so relatable. I think it's universal to have felt being unwanted. To have just wanted to be seen and loved for a moment. How, sometimes, we cannot see the entire picture, the love behind gestures especially as the line between parent and child begins blurring. Alba, obsessed with magic, struggles to find a place that feels like home. To find people, a community, and friends.