The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson

soteriae's review against another edition

4.5 Stars

nbzee's review

adventurous emotional inspiring sad slow-paced

colton_joseph's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring reflective tense slow-paced

kelleybean1981's review

That was a lot of book, and I still have no idea what's going on

else's review against another edition

Took me a looong time to get into the book and to care about the characters. Well, the book is a 1000 pages long so I had the time :P

I like Mistborn and other sanderson books a lot more, but I'm invested now and will read the next book.

sephranix's review against another edition

3.5 rounded up to 4 stars.

I could not bring myself to five star this book because, frankly, I got quite bored in the middle. I hit around 40% realized that I wasn't truly invested in what was going on, and then took a two month hiatus. I put the audiobook on hold with the library, and thus, I have only finished it because that hold came in. Eventually, I would have picked it up to finish. But it would have taken a very long time.

I love solid world-building.... to a point. This book felt much too long. I enjoyed the characters (with the slight exception of Shallan who was just very naive and annoying to start) and fantasy is probably my favorite genre, but there was something missing for me. I remember my husband asking me if I was enjoying it because I had been reading it pretty solidly for a few weeks, and I could only say, "I'm not sure. There's not a lot going on right now." There was a solid start, a very boring middle at times, and then a great end.

Also. These chasmfiends.... they are basically just fighting for giant crab hearts??!! That's what I got from the illustrations in the book. Just looked like them fighting for the heart of an oversized hermit crab. Still have no idea wtf is going on with that, and after 1200 pages, that's kind of annoying. If it was explained, I must have blacked out during that part of the audiobook.

yazerk's review

This is a great start to what I hope will be one of the best fantasy series ever. The setting is very captivating, the characters are well developed and the story telling is great. It is a big book but I was very happy with the pacing, even though I wouldn't consider it a fast-paced book.

kry_yang's review

adventurous inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

Lady Gaga voice: "Talented brilliant incredible amazing show-stopping spectacular never-the-same totally unique completely-never-been-done-before..."

This fantasy book GOT me into fantasy. Which is kinda wild, because seriously, it's BEHEMOTH of a read, clocking in at over 1000 pages and 45 hours of audiobook time. But the world-building is absolutely impeccable, and the characters are so compelling. This book is one of the few I've ever read to actually make me cry at the end.

This was my second time reading through this novel and every page was just as breathtaking as the last. I think the Stormlight Archive series has really incredible re-read value, because Sanderson includes so much foreshadowing. Still, I wish I could relive the first time I experienced this story.

Cannot recommend this book enough. It changed my life and hopefully it changes yours too!

shannasaurus_rex's review against another edition

Brandon Sanderson can practically do no wrong in my book, and this is no different. This book is massive, and it's only the beginning of an epic series, yet I didn't want it to end. I listened to the audiobook, and 45 hours went by way too quickly. I can't wait for Words of Radiance.

brockletsread's review

One of the best fantasy books of the year. An excellent debut for a potentially grand series.

Flawed yes, but full of mystery and compelling characters. Books like this don't come along often. The real shame is having to wait possibly two years for the next book in this planned series. Be prepared to be following this series deep into 2030.