The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

motunz's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad slow-paced

aiwilo's review against another edition

Amazing!

maria_rita19's review against another edition

Enjoyed it so much more this time! Had to read this for my English Literature class btw, it is not my fav classic

claresky99's review against another edition

Oscar Wilde used Dorian Gray as an extreme, cautionary tale about the danger of us succumbing into the sweet temptations of vanity, hedonism, and cruel disregard towards others; and their effects on the soul. Slowly eroding what's beautiful inside, leaving an empty, rotten shrine of selfishness and self-righteousness for us to worship and live with.

For which is more important? What is seen or what is beneath? Art or reality? Pleasure or virtue? For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Oscar Wilde stunningly posed and wrote a brilliant tale around these questions. He left the responsibility of answering them with each readers; but for Dorian, and possibly himself, the answers were made clear. Definitely a must read. 5

liliput3532's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective medium-paced

jasmin_28's review against another edition

emotional medium-paced

giuliettaajello's review against another edition

phthadani's review against another edition

2020
I have read this multiple times and each time I enjoy it more.

2019
I enjoyed rereading this so much. It is very thought-provoking. My favorite part was the first chapter of the book.

2017
I absolutely loved this book. It portrayed vanity and its consequences very efficiently. It is a wonderful tale with a very valuable lesson. I would highly recommend this book.

irlchaosdemon's review against another edition

challenging dark reflective slow-paced
I’m gonna be honest, I only read this because I heard that it was gay

I do not have the mental energy rn to write an actual review, so this is all you get :)

cups's review against another edition

See I'm not sure where to place this book, whether its a 3 star or a 4 star. Read it to see what all the hype was about so didn't really have high expectations but was pleasantly surprised. This style of book isn't really my cup of tea. The era... the characters usually a bit tedious pour moi (feelin fancy) But I enjoyed the plot and it was really well written. Not sad I read it and was pretty keen to see how it ended. Had some poppin opinions from Lord Henry and some not so poppin opinions. Overall pleased. Will bump up my rating up to a 4. But really it's a 3.5. Maybe 3.75. Maybe.