The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

emmacharlotte96's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

sierramcguire's review against another edition

Excellent. I have a new love for Oscar Wilde. I love this story, it’s creativeness and engaging dialogue. The criticism of vanity and chasing after youth instead of kindness or wisdom. The story of Dorian Grey is intriguing I found my self thinking about it even when I wasn’t reading it.

hollyevaallen's review against another edition

A classic. An excellent tale of how vanity and an obsession with youth is vapid and pointless and can lead to corrupt behaviors. The story is well written and generally well paced and some nice underhanded gay/queer/bi content. A negative for modern readers will be the way in which Arabic men, Indian men, and African men are stereotyped (in chapter 11 or 12 I believe).

kdvperez's review against another edition

In the words of queen Taylor Swift, Dorian Gray was "so casually cruel in the name of being honest" -- that beautiful son of a bitch.

I would like to thank Kim's Cafe and Restaurant's wonton noodle soup and this book for keeping me company while I'm sick and for reminding me that no matter how shitty I feel, it is nothing compared to how the portrait must feel after two decades of Dorian's debauchery.

Witty dialogue, timeless contemplations on vanity, society, and morality and just a little bit (a lot) gay. There were just some parts that felt unnecessarily long (I'm looking at you Chapter outlining all of Dorian's hobbies and accumulated possessions over the years).

But I would voluntarily write a psychoanalytic essay on this. And, really, willingly writing any form of academic essay is one of the highest forms of flattery.

patriciakrisztina99's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective sad slow-paced

anniehayez's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective medium-paced

Well… I really wanted to like this. I imagine the uncensored version is far superior. The concept is so cool and the writing is beautiful (although not the easiest to understand if you aren’t used to classics). I also enjoyed the ending because it was not what I predicted. I just felt the story lingered on uninteresting scenes and blew past really interesting ones. Also I understand it’s a a satire of high society and the selfish nature of men; I just can’t get past all the derogatory language throughout the book. If the satire was to be successful, then there needed to be a women with actual substance to counter the words of lord Henry. I know why it’s beloved but it isn’t beloved by me. I did like that it’s a classic book that is clearly about queer men. That could’ve been clear without all the woman hating though. #FuckLordHenry

apageinthestacks's review against another edition

3.5/5

I feel like I read this at the wrong time, as I was never fully able to get into it and enjoy it, but had to just keep reading it when I didn't want to (yay, school). Definitely plan on re-reading when I can enjoy it more, as I really enjoyed the philosophical aspects, and the plot was interesting, or at least seems like it would be if I was able to be captured by it.

ouissalamori's review against another edition

emotional reflective tense medium-paced

rljones's review against another edition

dark tense slow-paced

polomval's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced