Reviews for Opposite of Always, by Justin A. Reynolds

batmads's review against another edition

Great read! It was interesting and engaging throughout, and it was cool to see the butterfly effect play out--how little changes could cause a big effect, and to see how long it can take sometimes to figure out how to balance our priorities and get things right.

greenlivingaudioworm's review against another edition

"I've always loved reading. But there aren't a lot of books about kids like me. And I just think every kid deserves a book that looks like them."

I'm not usually a big fan of books that involve time travel, but this one was cute! Jack King was the perfect narrator for this story: funny, insightful, and down-to-earth. Each time he traveled back in time, he made decisions + mistakes that made perfect sense for an eighteen-year-old. This book made me question the types of decisions I would have made if I was 18 and thrown my own time loop. I can't imagine living the same four months over and over again, but Jack's narration made it significantly more enjoyable than Groundhog Day. [a:Justin A. Reynolds|16974988|Justin A. Reynolds|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1527422167p2/16974988.jpg] writes in a way that reminds me of [a:Becky Albertalli|7579036|Becky Albertalli|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1392414949p2/7579036.jpg] or [a:Rainbow Rowell|4208569|Rainbow Rowell|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1342324527p2/4208569.jpg]. Overall this was a very enjoyable story.

This book would be best suited for high school classrooms due to the references to drinking and other college activities.

_skyler's review

adventurous emotional hopeful reflective slow-paced

promisedlostboy's review

emotional funny reflective sad medium-paced

Okay so I really loved this book.... But something just doesn't feel right, like I'm missing something... I guess I just needed a little extra 'oomph!'... I think the quickest way to describe my feeling towards it is that I absolutely loved the journey, more than most books, but the destination was kinda underwhelming for me... Does that make any sense?

reyastray's review

emotional hopeful inspiring fast-paced

solid 4 stars!! i read this all in one day which is VERY fast for me at this time. i didn’t really like the writing style at first, i found it very stereotypical ya contemporary with too-funny (not funny, actually quite unrealistic) dialogue, pop culture references on every page, trying too hard to make the main character sound like a teenager and he ended up just not sounding like a real person. HOWEVER. this was only really an issue for the first bit of the book, and then i got used to it and the book was so much more than that. overall i enjoyed it!! it was really sweet and meaningful.

nehainwonderland's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

merlinereads's review against another edition

10/10 would die for this friend group. Only reason I didn't give this 5 stars is because I got tired of the time travel replays. i just don't like time travel. Review to come.

marineb09's review against another edition

Not as good as I wanted it to be.
I loved the idea ... the first part was semi-great but after reading the same thing 5 times over you just got sick of it all ... at least for me.

fawnbytheriver's review

emotional funny inspiring sad medium-paced