The Ex Talk, by Rachel Lynn Solomon

leahta11's review against another edition

Just your typical enemies to lovers/coworkers tropes with a public radio backdrop. The characters are adorable and the right kinds of quirky. I laughed out loud at the Beanie Baby bit, mainly because I have a friend who has the same ridiculous opinions

krissax's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

mckellstar's review

4/5 stars

This book was so cuuuute…! It gave me huge Nora Ephron movie vibes, and I am not mad one bit. I really fell in love with the main couple and their families. The only reason I gave it a 4 and not higher is because I felt like the beginning could have had a bit more tension between the protagonists - because it’s supposed to be an enemies-to-lovers romance, and there was not enough of the ‘enemies’ bit for my liking. But overall, a really fun, cute read!

sienchen's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted

jenniferroach's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

thejufox's review against another edition

4 stars

Had a very nice time reading this one. It's not an absolute favourite, but I recommend it. There were some small things that I didn't love here and there but overall it gripped me and I was invested in Shay and Dominic's story.
This story absolutely delivers on what it promises in its synopsis, it's exactly what I wanted and expected from it, which is a great thing, because that's obviously going to be the main reason most people pick it up. If the synopsis sounds interesting and cute to you, give it a try!

The main thing I didn't LOVE (it was still fine, though)
Spoileris the grand romantic gesture at the end. I'm never a huge fan of those being public, so that wasn't my favourite part of the story and since it's supposed to be the moment that everything builds up to, it takes away from that last high that you want from a story like this (for me anyway). I did really love how Dominic pulled out the cords of their headphones so they could tell each other their 'I love you's' in private. Thank you, Dominic, that saved it from being fully public and I appreciate that Rachel Lynn Solomon did that.

Other than that, (this happens fairly at the beginning of the story so it's not a big spoiler, but I'm tagging it anyway)
SpoilerI wanted to mention that I was not a big fan of the way Shay adopted her dog, Steve. The place where she goes to get them tells her explicitly that this dog is fairly difficult and that they don't want to give him to someone with little to no experience with dog ownership and yet she buys him anyway... Don't do that. I didn't like that. That's not responsible and is the reason some dogs end up poorly trained.

TL;DR: It's a cute one, had a nice time.

em_brebs's review

[b:The Ex Talk|53415121|The Ex Talk|Rachel Lynn Solomon|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1589505942l/53415121._SY75_.jpg|74638665] is sweet, engaging, and fun. I didn’t love the end — it felt a bit too on-the-nose for me — and I also struggled at times to feel the chemistry between the two main characters. Still, I blew through it in an afternoon and felt happy and satisfied with my experience.

Solomon sets this novel very intelligently in the specific realm of public radio, which she thankfully knows a lot about and clearly loves as a medium. I think at times she could have leaned in even more to what the jobs feel like and why Shay loves radio besides the connection with her dad. She does touch on this and raise the questions I’m asking, but I feel like they aren’t really answered in any kind of satisfying way.

Like in many romance novels attempting something new, you as the reader sort of have to suspend disbelief to get on board with the premise. I actually think the initial set-up (besides the part where they keep up the lie in front of their co-workers and mom and stuff) is plenty believable. I wholeheartedly believe that people on podcasts and radio shows make stuff up to get the best possible hook for others to listen in. However, I do NOT, absolutely do NOT believe that they will force their two co-hosts to go on a weekend trip to ~connect~ with each other. Indeed, the novel’s main villain, Kent, the man who runs the station, just feels like a plot device: they need a reason to get together, they need a reason to spend more time together, they need a reason to have conflict
Spoiler can anyone explain to me why he outed them??? Like does that make sense to anyone? He was going to fire them anyway— what did it matter to him if they took their show elsewhere? And also why do it right before such a public moment if not just to be cruel?
, they need a reason to have a powerful ending etc. He never felt like a real full person and his choices were inconsistent and hard to parse. The whole actual PLOT was just not for me.

So, that’s the gist, folks. The plot was frustrating and I never actually got on board with the chemistry between the two leads. Still, it was fun and relaxing, and that cannot be underestimated: 78%

steph_holmes113's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced

swetharao's review

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

I’m always looking for books with diverse characters and I was really excited for this one because there were so many! The main characters are Jewish (Shay) and Korean (Dom), the best friend is Indian (Ameena), and there are multiple LGBT characters. However Dom and Ameena, both being PoC characters, barely got any background or character development that actually made them PoCs, other than their names. Sure, Dom knows what to order at a Korean restaurant, but that was about it. There were many opportunities where more details could’ve been brought in like when Dom takes his shoes off indoors and says it’s because his parents were worried about their white carpet growing up. Instead this could’ve been attributed to the fact that most Asians don’t wear shoes in the house. Or maybe when it was mentioned that Ameena and Shay loved estate sales, it could’ve been added that both Jewish people and Indians love a good bargain.

The story itself was very cute and I would still recommend it as a fun read, but if you are going to write PoC characters, you need more details that actually make them feel like PoCs instead of just nondescript white characters with PoC names.

allanas_book_obsession's review