The Sun Is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon

natty12's review against another edition

This is actually my second time reading this book. The first time I read it, I was way too young. I hated it when I read it the first time so much so that I put it in my donation pile. Then I discovered book tok and this book was being recommended. So I dug it out of my donation pile and read it again. My opinions of it have completely changed. I absolutely love that you get a perspective of almost every character in this book. I am also a huge believer of everything happens for a reason and this was a huge theme of this book.

celestea's review against another edition

alexarparra's review against another edition

VERY VERY GOOD!!!! SUCH A GOOD FORBIDDEN LOVE STORY BURDENED WITH PAIN AND SADNESS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!

asphodelic's review against another edition

(+) Non-Caucasian, immigrant protagonists in NYC.
(+) Efficient but still a good writing style.
(+) Teenage vernacular that does not sound forced.
(+) Short and earnest interludes from side/background characters.

(-) The couple experiences all stages of a relationship and fall in love within a matter of HOURS.
(-) The basic and one-sided character of Charlie.
(-) Optimism oozing from almost everything and everyone.

SUMMED UP: A young adult writer who excels at her craft, but this story should've taken place over the span of at least a week for it to really be believable.

I cannot stress how important it is that the writing style does not make too much effort to sound hip and modern. I could believe the narrations from both Natasha and Daniel. I loved how neither of them were Caucasian. THAT IS SO GREAT. We do not need another teenage romance focused on two white teens in the big city. We have a Jamaican girl and a Korean-American boy. IT IS REVOLUTIONARY, and I should not have to say that near the end of 2016.

But goddammit. Why couldn't this story have taken pace over the span of a week? It should've been minimum three days at least. The pessimist in me simply cannot believe that two individuals can go through every single stage of a relationship within eight to twelve hours.

lambders's review against another edition

Pros: sappy, adorable insta-love
Cons: sappy, adorable insta-love

tezarit's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

archanagunawardana's review against another edition

I project it out into an apocalyptic future. The lights dim and the glass falls away, leaving just the metal skeletons of buildings. Eventually those rust and crumble. The streets are uprooted, green with wild plants, overrun with wild animals. The city is beautiful and ruined.

#What if we are just a digression in someone else’s history?

#They have a sense that love changes all things all the time.
That’s what love is for.

#But time and distance are love’s natural enemies.

meg_lowde's review against another edition

I wasn't sure what to think about this going in - I'm not the biggest reader of contemporaries, but there have been enough that have caught my attention over the years to occasionally pick one up again and see what it has going for it. I'd seen The Sun Is Also a Star recommended a few times by a few different people, and I decided to give it a go. The premise intrigued me - set in the space of one day (though having snippets of the past and future here and there), detailing the struggle of Natasha, about to be deported, and Daniel, struggling under the weight of his parents' expectations. The love part I wasn't too interested in, but the rest was enough to make up for it.
The first thing? It's a quick read. I whizzed through it in a matter of hours, only pausing to take a few notes and sleep as I started it quite late in the night, and I wasn't blown away by the writing. It read like any typical YA contemporary, with nothing particularly special about it, aside from one aspect that I did truly enjoy - it took chapters aside and devoted them to side-characters, to extraneous people Natasha and Daniel passed and interacted with during that day and gave them a story, and alongside this it also took the time to explain the significance of some of the Korean/Jamaican/African-American details it included, like the Korean naming process, black hair care products and Korean involvement in the marketing and distribution of them, and the history and cultural significance behind the word irie and how it has developed over the years. It was interesting learning about the different cultures in a way that didn't detract but only enhanced the narrative itself, and it was definitely one of my favourite parts about the read. Whilst the writing itself may have been fairly standard, the style in which it was written was definitely worth the read.
As for the plot and the characters themselves? Well, they were likeable and interesting enough, though I wasn't particularly thrilled by either of them. I wasn't a big fan of the whole instalove and the professing of fate, but despite that their relationship certainly took many interesting turns. I appreciated the way that attraction and desire were written about as it felt relatively realistic if you took aside the love aspects, and the conversations they had were entertaining, though at times bordering on a tad pretentious. They touched on the real struggle of not knowing what to do with your future at such a young age, struggling with parental expectations and choosing a path without knowing with is the right one though, which I did appreciate.
Overall it was a nice, fun, quick read. It touched on a few important subjects and handled them with relative taste whilst still managing to be somewhat light-hearted, and though I feel like it was supposed to be more emotionally hard-hitting than it was, especially with the ending, it lacked that overall impact for me. Whilst I did enjoy it, it wasn't anything spectacular, and I wouldn't say it is something that will stay with me over the years.

biancateodor's review against another edition

if i gave "everything everything" 5 stars, this one deserves 10