The Sun Is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon

haley_reads_books's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

livs_library's review against another edition

”How can you trust something that can end as quickly as it begins?”

I’m not sure why, but I didn’t have a connection with either of the characters. The chapters were pretty short and maybe that distracted from the true emotion being portrayed. I didn’t “feel” as much as I thought I would. This book was written very simply to where I read it in 2 sittings. Therefore, maybe it didn’t give me that time I really needed to connect with those characters!

One aspect I really loved was that you didn’t have to imagine what the characters looked like. Some books never describe the character’s physical appearance and it’s one of my biggest pet peeves! I loved the Asian and African American relationship that takes place.

A couple of these scenarios were way too far fetched. All of this could be because I never read romance, but I’ve been working on branching out! While this book was full of cliches, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed the overall synopsis and Yoon’s writing.

hantabrad4d's review against another edition

This book surprised me! It honestly doesn't sound like something I'd get caught up in, but it's so much more than the blurb makes it seems to be. It was exactly what I needed right now. After all, the reading experience is very much about timing--at least for me. Yoon is incredibly talented, and I can't wait to read more of her work!

weronika's review against another edition

Lepsza od Everything Everything, ale... ja po prostu nie znoszę #instalove. Nawet jeżeli było to momentami urocze to... jak można kogoś poznać i w ciągu jednego dnia twierdzić, że ta osoba to ta jedyna 🤦

ocereadsstuff's review against another edition

I liked this book a lot more than Everything, Everything. The story line was a loft better, in my opinion. The ending, although unexpected, was the best way to finish this book.

megan_alice's review against another edition

Maybe part of falling in love with someone else is also falling in love with yourself.

This book is sweet and sad and hopeful. The writing is lovely but the story was just a bit too unbelievable for my tastes. If you're a big romantic, you'd probably enjoy this but I just found it cringy in parts. Daniel proclaiming he and Natasha are "meant to be" after knowing each other for a few hours was just too weird for me. I did enjoy learning about Natasha and Daniel's families and the specifics of immigration and deportation, but the romance wasn't a strong enough aspect of the story for me. My favourite part of the book was the snippets of story about random characters - I loved seeing the way a simple action could affect other people's lives without you realising.

maddog_g14's review against another edition

Loved it, loved it, LOVED IT!!!

dani_2006's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

bookcoloredglasses's review against another edition

This book is magic. A light, sweet and easy read about young love covering a deeper story of how the simplest actions can change a much bigger story.

witchy_book_beast's review against another edition

This was such a good book! I loved the very realistic family dynamics and how nobody is villianized.
It's explained why each character feels the way they do or why they act a certain way which doesn't excuse the behavior, but does allow you to sympathize with them.
The only reason I couldn't give this book 5 stars is because of the relationship between Natasha and Daniel. It was just way too clichéd for my taste, but I do get why people like them together. For me, the soft boy hopeless romantic poet and logical calculated and usually cold woman just don't do it for me unless it's written extremely well and their dynamic just wasn't. I honestly wish they were just two strangers who form a platonic relationship. That would have added another layer to the story which focuses a lot on family and the difference types of ways they deal with eachother. This could have been an outstanding book about friendship and family, but that's just personal preference.
Be that as it may, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting something different.