coffeeteabooksandme's review

I love Beth & Sarah’s podcast and decided to listen to the audio book when I realized they’re the narrators. There is a lot of good discussion and such a focus on grace-filled conversation and embracing the discomfort of the paradox. I needed this book in my tool box. I’ll likely go back and read the physical copy so I can take notes & digest it some more.

I’m really looking forward to the next book in May! Keep it nuanced!

itsamberyall's review

Sara and Beth bring such a refreshing reminder in a time where politics seems to be an instant argument starter that being kind is more important than being right. These ladies use their platform to teach other how to give grace in political conversations. The “homework” questions are thought provoking and personally challenging. This book compliments their podcast perfectly.

jonathanwallace's review against another edition

Not as deep as I would've hoped but maybe that speaks to the divisions being more superficial and emotional than people give credit?

jedishelley's review

This book is a good reminder on how to be a decent person when conversing with other people; a little bit too god heavy for my taste, but the overall message is a good one.

snorthington's review

What a thoughtful guide to how to reengage with politics and move our relationships and country forward. Learning to communicate well is an art that we need to relearn as a people, and this book offers a great starting point.

We should be talking politics - it is integral to every part of our lives and our own experiences inform the beliefs we hold about certain issues. It is important to "take off your jersey" and realize you will not agree with every policy position or politician who identifies themselves as the same party you identify with; there is nuance that needs addressed. We all need to dig deep and identify the why of what we believe and what makes our stance so important to us. Politics is not the end all be all; it is more important to remember we are a community of different experiences coming together to try and move our collective forward.

Extending grace to ourselves and others is so important, and can radically influence relationship and trust. We should be seeking daily to get curious and learn something new; to educate ourselves on policy or positions that we are unfamiliar with or that are in opposition to what we believe. Paradox is abundant in politics and every human interaction; we all have habits or beliefs that we struggle to align with our other beliefs. It is healthy and good to be uncomfortable - it's how we can evolve into more thoughtful humans and deepen relationships. It is important to step outside your own echo chamber and engage with a different view point or experience in order to grow and become better informed about the nuance of every issue. Politics, and relationships, are complex and dynamic; remembering nuance leads to productivity and more positive interactions.

This book is such a wonderful primer and guide to thoughtful, nuanced relationships and political conversations. I would love for every American to read a copy, especially all elected officials from the local to the federal level. I was already a big fan of Sarah and Beth through their podcast, but this solidified the two of them as women I would love to be friends with.

ruthab's review against another edition

informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

laurap's review

challenging reflective medium-paced

ljacoby's review

hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

caitiebarton's review

10/10 would recommend to literally ANYONE interested in engaging in conversations about politics and/or in scrolling Facebook without losing your mind.
(Listened to the audiobook, narrated by both authors, and it was like a 5.5 hour episode of the podcast— I LOVED it.)

bekahk's review

challenging funny informative inspiring fast-paced