Spells for the Dead, by Faith Hunter

seanchai's review

One of my favorites in the series. I enjoyed the meta plot developments.

schomj's review

I am really enjoying watching Nell continue to grow and explore her abilities, both magical and mundane. I also really enjoy how well developed the continuing cast of supporting characters are, as we get to know them through Nell. The final scene with the magical fairy tree-house was splendid.

I am not really a mystery reader, so the mystery plot isn't something I can really comment on, other than to say that it worked to develop the characters and the worldbuilding, and satisfied me in that respect.

CW: gross murders involving oozy things, animals die too, references to sexual assault

littleread1's review

The case in this book was less interesting than all the personal interactions Nell had, with her family, her team, and the people she met working the case. She has done a lot of learning and growing, and it really shows in this book. She also learns a lot about herself and what she might be, or at least about what she might be able to do.

I am really looking forward to the audio version, because of the narrator and how she voices Nell and the rest of the gang, I always feel like I learn a bit more and sink a bit more into the story.

The way this book ends (not a cliffhanger at all folks) leaves me really excited to see the next chapter of Nell's life.

**AUDIO SPECIFIC**
I really love these audio books. They just ... they are amazing. Khristine Hvam really gets you into Nell's head and you really learn right along with her. I adore the personal growth for Nell and her friends and family in this book. They really lean into her need to take care of herself, while she leans into letting other people help out every once in a while.

lpcoolgirl's review against another edition

Wonderful book, loved Nell not being the probie anymore! Fantastic mystery, we learned more, and overall a fantastic read!

halfpintreads's review

3.5 actually. Like this world and how it is growing. Glad to see all the characters and how their team is doing. Get a little bothered by some of the "churchwomen" talk. I don't have a frame of reference for these communities, so no idea if it's and actual characterization or a horrible stereotype. But it is something that hits me wrong every time.

The book also had a big ewww factor, partially me feeling nauseous when reading it but actually had to put it down and walk away at times. The description of the victims was um, vivid

laurla's review

"fear of women created a need to control them, especially among weak men who didn't know their place in the world and feared anything that might take their little bit of power from them."

"that's a vision that'll melt all the red off your lollipop."

"doubt thou the stars are fire;/ doubt that the sun doth move;/ doubt truth to be a liar;/ but never doubt i love you to the full moon and back." shakespeare quote

"this is gonna be hard."
"what? keeping secrets?"
"no. being nice to him whenever i want to kick that stick farther up his backside."

"i had learned early on that an unafraid woman was a terrifying thing to some men."

"i do apologize for saying it."
"but not for feeling it?"
"a man can't help what he feels. he can only help what he does about those feelings."

"grief was like living inside a weighted net, pulling you down. you could see out but not get away, not breathe freely, not...not live the live you once lived."

papi's review

Ingram is back...is it for the last time? I thoroughly enjoyed this bit of urban fantasy, as I have past books in the series. Very creative and action packed. It's light reading, the kind of thing I enjoy reading on the treadmill or in the car (when I'm not driving!). The way it ended, though, felt just a little like the series was being brought to a close. I hope Hunter has more books in her...I've enjoyed most of the urban fantasies she has written.

vera_ann's review against another edition

Book 5 of the series. Spinoff of the Jane Yellowrock series.
As much as I've liked Jane Yellowrock I am loving Nell even more with every book I read. I love the characters, their discoveries about themselves and each other and the growth in each character and relationship. I love the police procedural aspects of the book with a paranormal unit.

nmthonet's review

This was a fantastic addition to Ms Hunter’s Spulwood series. The case was timely and highlighted the dangers facing First Responders. The family interactions continue to be heartwarming and I love Nell even more as her story evolves.

bhunky's review

I love this book series, but one thing that always irked me was all the police procedure you sit through and how boring it is. With this book we still had the procedures but for some reason the book was a little better. Also, what I've come to realize is that with these books you really have no motive when the crime is committed and you're building everything from the ground up.

I'm totally hoping that there will be another book because I really feel like we're starting to delve into what Nell and some of her sisters truly are, plus there's the changes that they're forcing the church folks to make. I also have to say that I'm happy for the romance but I'm also happy that it doesn't take center stage. It's there as a part of the story but it in no way makes our leading lady weak, which shouldn't be surprising because having a love interest in the story never made Jane weak, although it might have blinded her a bit to some things.