Medieval Myths & Mysteries, by Dorsey Armstrong

informative fast-paced

annexsofie's review

dark informative reflective medium-paced

marleyr95's review

A very brief whistle stop tour of British mythology but really interesting nonetheless. I could have listened to 10 hours + of this.

pilarspilesofbooks's review

informative fast-paced

notwaverly's review

Don’t usually care too much about Medieval Europe (how many plague and Arthur stories does one really need?)
But this narrator was good, really engaging. Definitely entertaining. A big point was “medieval ppl were more like us than not” and while that is a no duh sort of point it is really helpful to hear repeated. Also I liked that at the end she brought it around to Game of thrones, it’s always good to provide a more visual context and by that time I was tired so it was a good conclusion

marshsaint's review

informative inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

welkinvault's review

informative medium-paced

Not a period of history I am normally interested in, but I am currently reading Connie Willis' excellent Domesday book and wanted to learn more about the period.  The author/lecturer brings humour and levity to the subject, which made this an intertaining course to listen.  The sections on Black Death and Robin Hood are excellent, and if you are a fan of the Game of Thones you will love the last chapter!

a_h_haga's review

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO RATE THIS!

Why? Because, sure, it has some new info that I didn't know, but I already knew most of the things mentioned through random encounter and research for books or stuff like that. So I thought that a 3/5 star rating might do it, but then it introduces my own personal feelings in the matter.
The narrator/author felt rather patronizing to me. There were a couple of instances where she said things that felt like a jab at other countries and scientists, like they weren't as good as her because they came from other places. And there were some things where she either forgot or didn't include actual research, and threw in her own thoughts on the subjects - like the history of rats.
And she did throw a round a couple of controversial topics and mentions without actually giving us a reason for WHY she thought history was wrong. Just ''this didn't happen'', and moved on. She hardly ever mentioned actual sources for other than the Arthurian stuff, for which she mentioned her own publication.
And she was repetative.

So maybe I didn't think this was a good book after all, because I know I'll research the things that were new to me more before actually talking about it with others. I just don't trust this book.

medievalwitch's review

Dr. Armstrong clearly loves her subject and because of that, this was a treat. The course has some myths I already knew about and is not a thorough introduction by any means, but works as a little sampler and illustrates some of the major events of the time period. It absolutely makes me want to learn more about Medieval Europe, a period in history I've always been fascinated but intimidated by (it spans a whole millennium for crying out loud, yeesh). I now have some other books in mind to read/listen to next and Dr. Armstrong's other courses are definitely on my list too. If you have an audible subscription and are interested in the time period at all, listen to this fun little freebie.