andreasbookishthoughts's review against another edition

Ummmm. I really enjoyed this book and so glad I decided to pick it up.

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A therapist, Her Therapist, and Out Lives Revealed is a book I picked up on a whim. I was looking to see what was available on my libraries digital catalog and found this one that really intrigued me. I was surprised that this book stood out to me because it is a nonfiction story and I usually stay away from nonfiction but because it was calling me, I picked it up and literally fell in love with the story.

We follow Lori and her therapy sessions after a breakup with her boyfriend. Lori, is also a therapist that sees other patients and we follow some of her other patient sessions as well as she talks them through their problems. We see each of the patients grow as people. They make mistakes along the way, they are not perfect, and I really liked how this story showed that. The patient that I most enjoyed reading about was John. He was annoying when he was first introduced, but I found myself looking forward to reading about his stories about his life which he shares with Lori and was literally captivated.

Some things Lori and the patients deal with can be triggering to some people so I would look up trigger warnings first before reading it if this sounds interesting. Overall I highly recommend this story if it is something that sounds interesting to you because personally I loved it and so glad I stumbled across it.

itlestari's review against another edition

To be honest, I am quite like this book because I feel connected to her patients, this book has a simple premise about empathy, compassion and an awareness of the importance of mental health but when reading this book: there are moments when I feel excited, I feel touched (It got me teary eyes) and I am happy for Lori's patients 'cos finally they get clarity and peace within themselves (good for Lori too) but on another moments I feel there are some chapters in this book which feels too long and wordy and it make me bored. It's more like a writer's journal. Overall I feel that I quite enjoy reading this book, through this book I have learned how a psychiatrist's perspective towards their patien. In the end we are all human. we are all in this together, humans to humans.

mistyming's review against another edition

Definitely a bit long winded in parts but I really, really enjoyed this book. If you’ve had therapy or ever considered going to therapy, this was a beautiful example of what it’s like. My favorite part were the stories of her clients. Relatable and even hit home in some parts.
Worth the read, would definitely be a great audible choice, however I read the hard copy.

clairehom's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

felixsanchez's review against another edition

Pretty good, but really lacked sometimes. Felt slightly directionless and wandering, and I struggled to see the 'message'. While there were insights, they were somewhat few and far between. I feel this would be better for people who have no experience with therapy/related fields (i.e. Freudian analysis, say).

earl_of_book_dragon's review against another edition

Made me feel feelings for both the main character/author and her patients and myself. Tears throughout.

solvargasm's review against another edition

4.5 stars.

I really like how this books is narrated. It feels like a novel, it's entertaining, inspiring and touching, I cried with almost all the stories in it.

mandiesam's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

tnociti's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative reflective slow-paced

haleyneer's review against another edition

Recommended by Olivia Muenter

Most of my thoughts are way too personal for a public Goodreads review, but this was truly excellent and exactly what I needed in my life at this moment.