Borrower of the Night, by Elizabeth Peters

allie_shu's review

adventurous lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

ssejig's review against another edition

Vicki Bliss is a historian who has just had the find of a lifetime fall into her lap, proof that a shrine built by Remenschneider (I listened to the book so spelling may be suspect) actually existed. A race between herself and her lover, Tony Lawrence, as well as treasure hunter George Nolan, takes them all to Germany in an old, supposedly haunted castle.
In the setting of the book, the castle is now a hotel run by the final countess (who married into the family) and the last surviving Drachenstein, Irma. The Grauphin, the old countess, is an iron-fisted besom while her niece is a “perfect heroine” including to the point of being a fainting flower. There is also at the castle a Doctor Blankenhagen who may or may not also be looking for the shrine. The countess also has a séance-loving friend and there is an older gentleman, Schmidt, who round out the party.
Peters infused the book with a sense of humor about the whole gothic atmosphere, at one point, Vicki says something along the lines of, “A secret passage? That was all we needed.” Love those bits of self-awareness.

bookbrig's review

mysterious slow-paced

I just finished the last Miss Fisher mystery our library owns, and thought I'd try another sleuth series. I'll keep reading this one, but our leading lady only kind of endeared me to her in this opener. She read a bit like a slightly more world weary Nancy Drew, which isn't bad but also wasn't exactly what I was in the mood for. She may grow on me as I go though.

stefwithanf's review

lighthearted mysterious

jessmcall's review against another edition

Not as good as the Amelia Peabody series--which one one of my favorite series ever--but I'll give this series another book.

librovert's review against another edition

I didn't particularly like anything about this book. I've read a lot of reviews that suggest that Vicky really hits her stride in book 2, but nothing about her intrigues me to read more about her. Even written in Vicky's first person PoV, I didn't feel like I knew anything about her or connected with her.

The history seemed well researched (or at least suitably bullshitted, in the cases where it was made up for purposes of the story). The mystery was decent, but it didn't start to pick up until the second half of the book and left me wondering what exactly the purpose of the first half of the book was.

danico's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

writerlibrarian's review against another edition

Written in 1973, this is Peters' first novel in her Vicki Bliss series. I've been told that it isn't really representative of the whole series but still it was an enjoyable romp in an German medieval castle hunting for a lost treasure with ghost, villains and death waiting at the bottom of a forgotten cellar. There are some things, mainly Vicki's hear me roar I'm a tall, strong woman, that kinda got on my nerves a little but I'm reading the next one soon. Very different. This is not Amelia not by a long shot and it's a good thing.

heidinay's review

adventurous mysterious

dgrachel's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious fast-paced