Reviews for Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn

skeezixreviews's review against another edition

If I hadn't been reading Gone Girl on my Kindle, I'd have thrown the book across the room. I couldn't put this book down but only because I was waiting so desperately for the characters to get their deserved comeuppance. Perhaps they did, in the end, but it was hardly satisfying for me as the reader.

adrianna80's review against another edition

The most deliciously effed story. Pop culture references and psychotic characters what's not to love

jennutley's review against another edition

I am a pretty even-keeled person. I don’t shout, weep or emote much. I often even laugh silently. But Gone Girl had me yelling in my car in frustration, unbelief, outrage, and shock. That’s why I have to say this book was amazing.

The characters are reprehensible—there is no one to relate to really. The setup slow and annoying. The plot twists were unexpected. (Don’t read any spoilers beforehand.) And I can’t decide if the ending was a cop-out or brilliant. Just trying to decide makes it worth the read. Have I convinced you to give it a try?

When a book makes you seek others who have read it to talk about it, that’s when you know you’ve found something special. But don’t read it if you are looking for something uplifting or inspirational or moral. You will find none of that here.

dozzah's review against another edition

I'm not disappointed with this book, I just feel like I might have missed something. Whenever I've heard people talk about Gone Girl they always mention how psychologically thrilling it was and how great the plot twists were. I did enjoy the thriller side of it, which is why I gave the book 4 stars - I was compelled to continue reading. However, I didn't 'enjoy' the plot twists. They didn't leave me amazed or anything of the sort, my reactions were more like an 'oh okay, let's continue reading'.
Going along with all that, I am really looking forward to watching the movie. I feel like I will enjoy it much more than I enjoyed the book.

njaprilfool's review against another edition

I liked the twists and turns. Was skeptical of reviews saying it wasn't her best work. I thought it was great and can't wait to read her others.

shell8160's review against another edition

Engrossing and unpredictable!

chloeeduffell's review against another edition

This read was a whirlwind to say the least. The plot twists, the scheming ideas, the breakthroughs - everything about it captivates the reader to just keep going. Each and every side character is broken down into by the protagonists' thoughts in such detail (by the author), it's almost as if you know them personally, finding their flaws and their best attributes and pitting them against each other. I truly cannot fault the writing of this storyline, the description of events, or the journeys to get to the next step in the plot.

It's easy at the start of this storyline to think you know what will happen, but in the end, you realise just how far off the mark you truly were. Tension builds throughout and then diminishes lightly before being increased back up to another extreme level after yet another finding in part of the journey to finding Amy. Frustrating moments lead back to unparalleled events, things I wouldn't have considered when planning what I thought would be next to happen. The way everything links back to each other and is made out to be just a coincidence throughout, it's truly sensational.

I would rate this book 5 stars, however, I can't. I can't out of pure spite and jealousy that I would never be able to produce something as flawless at this title. The planning and the amount of ideas you will encounter throughout will leave you wondering what the author's Google searches were when drafting this title, the sheer perfection in the details cannot be faulted.

For anyone who in interested in plot twists, intricate planning of details, and extremely fascinating characters, this title is a must read.

cpliego's review against another edition

I knew that Amy was the antagonist because I specifically picked this up for a female antagonist. So when the book starts off with everything pointing at Nick being the bad guy, I thought maybe I’d been wrong. Or maybe there would be a twist later on.

There was a twist. I wasn’t surprised, but still found it enjoyable to read about. I liked how unlikeable both Amy and Nick were and really just wanted to know how it would end for them. I was rooting for Nick a little bit more towards the end, once I saw how awful Amy could really be, but I think that open ending made the story a tad more exciting for me.

I’m looking forward to watching the movie, even though I didn’t hear great things about it. I want to see how it’s done, and whether I feel the same dislike for both characters. I have a feeling we’ll feel more sorry for Nick in the movie but I don’t know for sure.

kilsbylj's review

adventurous dark mysterious sad tense fast-paced

timwindram's review against another edition

I thought this was a good book overall and would have given five stars - were it not for the ridiculous ending