Last Guard by Nalini Singh

thisisabooktracker's review against another edition

A lot of set-up for the next plot arc, but well-written as always!

mingreen's review against another edition

Psy x Psy really is my favorite pairing in this series.

There is also good representation in the form of main characters Payal and Canto being neurodivergent and a wheelchair user respectively.

lindaunconventionalbookworms's review

*I received a free copy of Last Guard. This has in no way influenced my voluntary review which is honest and unbiased.*

I'm not sure I'll be able to be coherent right now! I absolutely adored Last Guard! The two main characters were the cutest ever! Even while still having a spine of steel. And I'm just so happy with this installment! At the same time, I'm extremely anxious about what will happen next. As always, Singh nailed it!

angie_stl's review

Psy

This installment into the Psy-Changeling Trinity world seemed a little more rushed than usual. For some reason I’ve had a hard time convincing myself that I wanted to read this one, but it was a 4/5 star read, with lots of cameo appearances!! If you have read the other Psy-Changeling books, and plan to continue, this is a very important book to read. Many Psy-Net things explained and happened.

diaryofthebookdragon's review

Not a fan of this couple. Their story felt like something I have already read before in this series. :/

wellactjoally's review against another edition

adventurous emotional fast-paced

Bear shifters!! Traumatized kids bond and then are ripped apart. Find each other in adulthood. Love to feed each other. Working together. Secret oasis. Telekinetic. Character in a wheelchair. Adjacent gay couple. Delhi.

Abusive adults. Mental health. Family you can’t trust.

pinkmedea's review

My least favorite of the Trinity series so far. At a glance, this book did have some really interesting elements in terms of representation  - we have an Indian FMC based in Delhi, and a PWD hero in a wheelchair, both of whom are much older than anyone in the series so far (36 and 39 respectively) - which I was really determined to like, but idk, the characters just didn’t click with me. I found Payal too similar to Zaira from Book 14, because they were both characterized as having that “angry little girl” inside, and I just didn’t appreciate it that much because their anger/cool control dichotomy is the only thing they have going for their personality. I also didn’t like the way Canto’s dialogue was written. He was always grumbling and growling and cursing in a way that sounded stilted and unnatural. I actually just skimmed a lot of their scenes together.

That aside, I did like the major plot of including designation A in the Ruling Coalition to round out the picture about the ongoing destruction of the PsyNet. I appreciated the little glimpses of the culture, where designation A was cosseted for such a long time, but now had to find a way to adapt to the changing times. I also enjoyed seeing more of Arwen and Pavel, and the interactions of Canto with the bears.

Not my favorite but worth a read if you’re invested in the plot.

awishman's review against another edition

The real world parallels were

robiok's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

3.75 ⭐️
Once again not quite 4 stars but an excellent follow up to the arc that was started with Wolf Rain
A great main couple and NIKITA WAS HERE that’s enough to sell me on this
I didn’t quite fall hopelessly in love this time and -strangely!- no tears? It’s very easy to make me emotional and both Wolf Rain and Alpha Night made me cry a bit, not Last Guard tho
Oh, loved the non-binary character of Aran, I hope they come back and Patel and Arwen truly stole my heart, I love these boys and I love their love
I’ll take a break now and come back to this series in a few months to finally catch up to the last release!
That ending was freaking exciting so I can’t wait :)

maggiekms's review