Olivia, by Ian Falconer

maxthefish's review against another edition

funny lighthearted slow-paced

upstatelibrarygal's review against another edition

Great book for/about kids with an independent spirit.

arieanna's review against another edition

I never enjoyed this. Neither of my boys did either.

snowelf's review against another edition

While I was quite enchanted with the first [b:Olivia|770051|Olivia|Ian Falconer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349034348s/770051.jpg|2484218] (even if I suspect it may be written for parents, sometimes more than children), I didn't like this book half as much. I still liked the graphical illustrations, and I guess that's mostly what these books are about anyway, but I'm not so sure if kids care all that much for them, and then, the story was just too disjointed, nonsensical. Like, what was the point with the red soccer jersey? All in all, the story felt like two, three disparate jokes thrown into to the cool design of [a:Falconer's|27861|Ian Falconer|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1197074556p2/27861.jpg] Olivia books.

beecheralyson's review against another edition

I love Olivia. She has such a wonderful sense of herself.And I love how the illustrations really bring out the text.

beecheralyson's review against another edition

I love Olivia stories but though I enjoyed the pictures and how the colors emphasized different aspects of the story, I was not as happy with the text. It seemed disjointed somehow.

desirosie's review against another edition

We happen to live with a similarly precocious toddler who is very good at wearing people out.

charireads's review against another edition

Library accidentally gave me this in Spanish which was fun trying to read. Loved the challenge and the cute book. Illustrator used black and white photos with a splash of red to show her sassy personality.

sarahfett's review against another edition

Do you have an energetic preschooler in your life? If so, you might want to check out
Olivia by Ian Falconer and No, David! by David Shannon from the church library. These
Caldecott Honor books portray two lively young children and the mischief they create.

Olivia tells of an imaginative and spirited little girl pig. The book’s inside cover invites
you to “have fun with Olivia…dressing up, singing songs, building sand castles, napping
(maybe), dancing, painting on the walls, and – whew! – going to sleep at last.” The simple black
and white charcoal illustrations are accented with splashes of red to highlight Olivia’s energy.
The book also includes pictures of two famous paintings. When Olivia and her family go to the
art museum, they look at Ballet Rehearsal on the Set by Edgar Degas and Autumn Rhythm #30
by Jackson Pollock, which Olivia tries to replicate on her bedroom wall. At the end of the day,
Olivia’s mother tucks her in bed and says, "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you
anyway," to which Olivia replies, "I love you anyway too."

The cover of No, David! tells the reader that “when David Shannon was five years old, he
wrote and illustrated his first book. On every page were these words: No, David!... and a picture
of David doing things he was not supposed to do. Now David is all grown up. But some things
never change…” The colorful illustrations in No, David! show a rambunctious young boy and
his mother who constantly has to reprimand him as he colors on the walls, tracks mud in the
house, and gets into other forms of mischief. Though David’s mother is always exclaiming “No,
David!” it is just her way of caring for him. The book ends with her saying, “Davey, come here.
Yes, David…I love you.” while pulling him into a big hug.

(From my church's newsletter, February 2011)

ibj's review against another edition

PB 21. Olivia is awesome. I think this would be another fun book to start out the day. She is so adventurous, and I think you could use her in the classroom in so many different ways.