The House of the Spirits, by Isabel Allende

annm1121's review

Middle of the road and way too long. I didn’t connect with any of the characters and there were no standout scenes. I suppose I kept reading because I like the genre and wanted to give Allende a third and final chance, but all the books I have read by her have been meh.

morecescode's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

ginavulpes's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced

diperedo's review

dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective sad slow-paced

chicageek's review against another edition

Un libro un poco extraño, la verdad. Me ha decepcionado un poco porque me lo recomendaron mucho y quizás me creé expectativas demasiado altas... La historia está bien, pero creo que se ha ido desinflando conforme avanzaba, e incluso ha habido partes que he leído así por encima porque me estaba aburriendo bastante. Tampoco ayudaba que los párrafos fuera gigantes, había páginas y páginas enteras de todo texto seguido y a mí eso me agobia xD No me he quedado con ganas de más de Isabel Allende, la verdad...

elisagherpelli's review against another edition

dark emotional medium-paced

rouver's review against another edition

Just not to my tastes. Didn't finish.

I wonder how much was lost in the translation, as there were some weird phrases that didn't make sense. In talking about statues of saints, the one for Sebastian was described as "that body twisted in the most indecent posture, pierced by arrows, and dripping with blood and tears like a suffering homosexual"

It's the kind of fiction that just doesn't typically grip me...no fantasy, no sci-fi. Just people dealing with life. They were intriguing characters, but the story just wasn't engaging.

jasmineehare's review

challenging dark emotional funny informative reflective sad tense medium-paced

wdantzler's review

An incredible journey that spans much of the 20th century in Chile, Allende's House of the Spirits is a magical generational adventure exploring the human experience. The characters grow and the story darkens considerably but the author still finds a way to redeem and forgive even the most dislikable of characters. People fall in love, out of love, are idealists, then humbled, become villains, then great heroes - all while sprinkled with the mysticism one finds in the magical realism genre. You'll find parts of yourself in every character. Some of the passages strike with such profound truth, you'll find yourself reading them over and over again. The message too of the story, in its closing, that life's events are all interconnected and the values of each are relative to the person ring so true in this thing we call life. This was one of the best and most complete books I've yet read.

"The old man was paralyzed with bewilderment, recognizing how worn out he was, when he tried to summon up his fury and his hatred and was unable to find them. He thought of the peasant who had shared his daughter’s love for half a century and was unable to find a single reason for detesting him, not the even his poncho, his socialist beard, his tenacity, or his damned fox-chasing hens."

macknz_p's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced