Reviews tagging War

내 휴식과 이완의 해, by Ottessa Moshfegh

pineapplesunshine's review against another edition

dark funny sad fast-paced

brittrom's review against another edition

challenging dark sad tense medium-paced

lauren176's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

makkylikestoread's review against another edition

dark emotional funny reflective fast-paced

I am so torn on this book, the narrator is so unlikeable that she is likeable. I loved the Whoopi Goldberg references. I also wondered if this book was supposed to be more about Reva than the narrator considering the ending.

SpoilerI knew it was bound to happen as soon I knew that the book was placed in 2000 and 2001. When I first finished the book, I thought that the fact that the narrator watched the tape as some sort of sick sense of motivation or a cure to her boredom was gross and distasteful but as I realized that this was a ritual of some sort duplicating what she used to do with her VCR movies.

Spoiler Each time I see the woman leap off the Seventy-eighth floor of the North Tower—one high-heeled shoe slipping off and hovering up over her, the other stuck on her foot as though it were too small, her blouse untucked, hair flailing, limbs stiff as she plummets down, one arm raised, like a dive into a summer lake—I am overcome by awe, not because she looks like Reva, and I think it’s her, almost exactly her, and not because Reva and I had been friends, or because I’ll never see her again, but because she is beautiful. There she is, a human being, diving into the unknown, and she is wide awake.  I thought the ending paragraph wrapped up the themes portrayed in the book nicely.

Other than some of the dark themes that are portrayed in this book, I will say that it is ridiculously funny.
I have never read a book that was able to wrap up humour and dark themes well.
This had me staring at the wall for a good 30 minutes after I finished reading.

beckybb0's review against another edition

dark funny slow-paced

At the time I read this, I strongly needed a distraction to get a break from a rather hard book. A great distraction it is! I've decided that I love Otessa Moshfegh's writing from Eileen and this.

Her characters are the only ones that I can tolerate in a 300-ish pages read. They're vapid, annoying, selfish, gross and many other humanistic characters that I've never seen showed much in books I read before. That's why I treasure these writings so much.

I must agree that the ending is a bit sudden. I expect more but I want it to end too so I guess, in the end, I don't really mind how it ends. All in all, fun and very memorable read!

klor's review against another edition

dark emotional funny reflective sad medium-paced

For how hyped this book is, I've found it to be one of the most reflective books I've read with human relationships. The good, the bad, the ugly. I love how nuanced almost every line is. The narrator is absolutely unlikable but you can't help but feel for her.

bloohoney's review against another edition

dark funny reflective sad medium-paced

She is an asshole that you feel relatable to, well...for me she is, let's be honest, the idea of sleeping for a year on not worrying sounds amazing
Then we have Reva, that you also can feel relatable to, once again, for me, and you get hurt by her story and hate how badly the main character speaks of her
Over all, i loved the book, even tho I despise her. I gave it a .5 because the ending wasn't what I was hoping for or expecting,
Spoilerlike the whole book deals with heavy subjects in a detached way but in the end it's like "wow, life is amazing, yeah, after a whole year drugged up i didn't develops an addiction even tho I threatened my best friend tho kill her bc she cares about me and took my pills away once....at least I think she did, i don't know, maybe i willingly gave them to her while I was out of it, hehe. So yeah, oh look the people in the park are so happy, I'm also happy, i magically have my shit together".......like wtf
Spoiler so yeah, that's it, highly recommend.

burnyayhayley's review against another edition

dark funny reflective sad slow-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

I have... a lot of feelings to process.

A consistent piece of feedback I am seeing in reviews of this book is about how the middle of it dragged, and I totally agree. Though it is easily arguable— given the focus of this book— that a human attempting to hibernate would eventually become a bit of a repetitive and tedious narrative to recount. It was bound to drag a little; what do you say about someone sleeping all the time?

Another thing I have seen in reviews is a statement that the ending is too rushed, but I beg to differ. The ending is differently paced, yes, and faster than the middle, for sure, but this reminded me of the feeling of waking up from a nap and there is still a whole afternoon and evening ahead of you and you kind of feel like everything is moving too fast. That head-rush of the waking world I think was mirrored in this last bit of the book, and to great effect. It fits, for me, that after this long spent drugging herself and sleeping on a couch (or wherever she was), everything would seem fast and bright and weird.
Spoiler Also, given that this book is set in 2000/2001, I was definitely waiting for the 9/11 moment, and given that we were told two of the people in the unnamed protagonist's life were working in the towers, the ending was not a total surprise. But I do give large credit to the beauty and slight obscurity of the very last image. Absolutely stunning.

Ok but also how did I only just realize that the protagonist doesn't have a name? That is usually something I would notice—makes it all the more unsettling, as it easily pulls the reader into her position.
Anyway, this book is darkly funny but also mildly upsetting, so please check the content warnings before venturing in.

emmersnicole's review against another edition

dark funny reflective tense fast-paced