Reviews tagging Sexual assault

My Year of Rest and Relaxation, by Ottessa Moshfegh

hannahlouise_'s review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

emilyhall's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

emziesbooks's review against another edition

challenging dark reflective slow-paced

siobhanann's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective fast-paced

I found it so emotionally draining reading this book which is partly why I adored it. I found myself hating and loving the main character so much, partly because I identified with her atributes I didnt much like in someone. It really made me question what type of person I am whilst also enjoying the plot and seeing where her journey ended/started.

freyalh's review against another edition

dark emotional funny reflective medium-paced

goo's review against another edition

dark emotional sad medium-paced

The funny thing of about depression is, everything that feeds into it, we love (like this novel). Do you really like this book or do you continue to hurt yourself by reading books that make you feel even more depressed because it's a comforting and familiar feeling?
Do you really like this book, or are you so depressed and clinging to something that makes you feel understood in a world of chaos and isolation?

This book felt personal. In the depths of my depression, I used sleep as an escape. I abused drugs as well so I could sleep for longer periods of time. Life was so unbearable and overwhelming that the only time I had to rest was sleep.
SpoilerUnlike the novel, I did not magically wake up one day and realize that things were going to be okay. It feels almost offensive that the author portrayed the character's  depression like this. I cant think of a single person who that has happened to.

This book was boring, nothing really happened to be honest. But i have to admit, the author is very talented for writing 300 pages where basically nothing happened.

lichenreads's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective slow-paced

harm's review against another edition

challenging dark slow-paced

After finishing My Year of Rest and Relaxation, I took some time to think about whether I liked it, or whether I just wanted to like it based on what others had told me.

Why do we read? If we read for enjoyment, this book is not worth our time. Getting through the pages upon pages of mostly aimless narrative was a hard slog with minimal pay-off and a vaguely insulting ending. If we read to learn and to feel, this is still not the book for us. Our beautiful, privileged narrator does not bring anything particularly new, thought-provoking or touching to our attention over her year of wilful dissociation and refusal of help.

As I read My Year of Rest and Relaxation, I found myself growing more and more despondent. At a stretch, I could say that in some ways my mood during this read mirrored the narrator's. Was this Moshfegh's design, to construct an example of "life imitates art" by dragging her readers into a sleep-like state? Or was this book truly just an unpleasant experience?

At the end of the day, I read for enjoyment and I did not enjoy this book. Am I missing something?

ornebbn's review against another edition

dark reflective tense fast-paced

women hate on men for relating to the joker and then say their favourite book is my year of rest and relaxation. its me im women

i initially gave this four stars but ive been thinking about it for like two months now so…

ninandm's review against another edition

dark funny medium-paced

I don't know how to feel about this. But it's definetly well written.