Reviews tagging Excrement

My Year of Rest and Relaxation, by Ottessa Moshfegh

harm's review against another edition

challenging dark slow-paced

After finishing My Year of Rest and Relaxation, I took some time to think about whether I liked it, or whether I just wanted to like it based on what others had told me.

Why do we read? If we read for enjoyment, this book is not worth our time. Getting through the pages upon pages of mostly aimless narrative was a hard slog with minimal pay-off and a vaguely insulting ending. If we read to learn and to feel, this is still not the book for us. Our beautiful, privileged narrator does not bring anything particularly new, thought-provoking or touching to our attention over her year of wilful dissociation and refusal of help.

As I read My Year of Rest and Relaxation, I found myself growing more and more despondent. At a stretch, I could say that in some ways my mood during this read mirrored the narrator's. Was this Moshfegh's design, to construct an example of "life imitates art" by dragging her readers into a sleep-like state? Or was this book truly just an unpleasant experience?

At the end of the day, I read for enjoyment and I did not enjoy this book. Am I missing something?

untitledlullaby's review against another edition

dark reflective slow-paced

Goes to show good writing can really save a horrible protagonist in a book that nothing really happens. I felt that the end was a bit off personally. I would not recommend this book but I can’t say I hated it enough.

cody's review against another edition

dark emotional funny reflective sad slow-paced

a couple thursdays ago i went to visit my Baton Rouge friends, planning to stay for just the weekend. i hadn’t been aware when i left home that there was a literal hurricane headed straight for Baton Rouge, so i ended up evacuating to my friend’s hometown in FL on saturday morning. what ensued was a very nearly life-changing vacation that gave me more hope and optimism and self-confidence than i have felt in a very long time... only for me to return to my oppressive hometown—which, if i were a spiritual or superstitious person, i would be convinced is home to a very powerful malignant presence, since every single person I’ve known who has moved away from here says they feel miserable when they come back to visit—and fall right back into my usual state of misery and self-loathing. so i checked this book out from the library the day after my return and i could not have timed it more perfectly because man do i wish i was this main character... I’m kidding except like I’m really not

anyway, book good

tiemzahra's review against another edition

dark reflective slow-paced

pr1nc3gumw4d's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad slow-paced

literal definition of girlboss

azzapurnomo's review against another edition

dark emotional funny reflective slow-paced

reading this book felt like a fever dream. which is exactly why its my new favourite book. just unhinged depressed new york post grad rich girl energy.

moosycakes's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny reflective sad medium-paced

This book was amazing, the author perfectly captured how selfish and disgusting a period of severe mental illness can be. I've experienced similar myself. I really appreciated the raw, honest misery in this book, and it was offset by humor well. For me as a person who struggles a lot with mental illness, this book was like a depressing breath of fresh air- it helped me feel less alone and it made me feel seen, acknowledged.

jjane's review against another edition

dark medium-paced

Repulsive. Annoying. Miserable. Very well written.