clockworkbook's review

I only read "Unappreciated Gifts" by Patricia Briggs thus far. I enjoyed it and wish we would have seen more (or all 5) dates. Lol

I will read the rest of the stories someday.

kzimm2024's review

Just like most reviewers, the story at the end was fantastic. Asil, blind date, vampires- total 5 stars.

The other stories, some we ok like the Paris at Christmas. The End of the world with Zombies and Santa was weird. The Elfis one was a bit too punny.

silverwizzard's review

For Unappreciated Gifts by Patricia Briggs

feralgreen's review

adventurous dark

philippavic's review

Although I am giving 3 stars to this book, I'm giving 5 for the only part I read. I just read unappreciated gifts by Patricia Briggs and I must confess that I truly loved it.

ameretet's review

uhh, wtf was this?

amibunk's review

Not my favorite short story in the Mercy Thompson universe. In fact, it falls toward the bottom- despite featuring Asil.

ofearna's review against another edition

This book listed Nina Kiriki Hoffman on the table of contents: of COURSE I had to buy it. Short stories in e-book format? Perfect for NOOK, though I also now have a KINDLE, too...

I was *delighted* to see Kent Patterson's "Wereyam" re-printed here (I have the F&SF it was originally published in, I also have One Evening a Year, which re-printed it... but now it's available electronically!)
♦ The Wereyam by Kent Patterson re-read 11/26/2001 re-read 7/7/2014 re-read 5/6/2015

"Jukebox Gifts" by Dean Wesley Smith -- wow. just ... WOW re-read 7/8/2014

"These Halls" by Kathy Oltion read 7/9/2014

"My Favorite Christmas" by Dave Farland (friend of the late Ardath Mayhar!) read 7/10/2014

"The Christmas Noun" by Larry Correia -- smirk read 7/11/2014

Naughty & Nice • [Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I.] by Kevin J. Anderson
♦ "Close Knit" 11/9/2014
Astronaut Nick • novelette by Brad R. Torgersen
The Longest Night • [Secret World Chronicles] • novelette by Mercedes Lackey
Jimmy Krinklepot and the White Rebels of Hayberry • novelette by Quincy J. Allen
Midnight Trains • shortstory by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
Unappreciated Gifts • [Mercy Thompson Universe] • novelette by Patricia Briggs

leabookjoy's review

French & English reviews

Unappreciated Gifts par Patricia Briggs SEULEMENT

J'en reviens pas que je n'ai pas su que cette nouvelle existait ! J'avais lu l'autre qui existe sur les rendez-vous d'Asil il y a longtemps mais en apprenant qu'une autre allait bientôt sortir (dans l'anthologie Heroic Hearts) et que c'était la troisième, j'étais FOLLE !!
Et bien sûr, je l'ai lu immédiatement ><
Et évidemment, elle était géniale =D
Moi qui adore Asil, j'ai adoré suivre son rendez-vous avec Kelly qui m'a beaucoup fait rire (déjà parce que Kelly était
Spoilerun étudiant gay trop mignon
, ensuite parce que Asil est suffisamment confiant pour
Spoilerdanser avec un homme
et bien s'amuser sans se sentir menacer dans sa masculinité (et c'est rare malheureusement !) et enfin parce que j'adore voir Asil jouer les chevaliers plus ou moins blancs =) )

Bref, pour les fans de l'univers de Mercy Thompson, une nouvelle incontournable tout comme les autres nouvelles avec Asil ! J'ai hâte de lire la suite (et d'apprendre qui est à l'origine de ce pari ><)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unappreciated Gifts by Patricia Briggs ONLY

I can't believe I didn't know this short-story existed ! I had read the other one that exists on Asil's dates a long time ago but learning that another was coming soon (in the Heroic Hearts anthology) and that it was the third, I was CRAZY !!
And of course I read it immediately ><
And obviously she was awesome =D
As I adore Asil, I adored following his date with Kelly who made me laugh a lot (first because Kelly was a
Spoilertoo cute gay student
, then because Asil is confident enough to
Spoilerdance with a man
and having fun without feeling threatened in his masculinity (and that's rare unfortunately !) and finally because I love to see Asil playing the more or less white knight =))

In short, for fans of the Mercy Thompson universe, a must-read short-story just like the other short-story with Asil ! I can't wait to read more (and learn who is behind this bet ><)