Trail of Lightning, by Rebecca Roanhorse

swatbooknb's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

Percy Jackson-eske but for an older audience

toribetweenpages's review against another edition

This book really wasn’t was I was expecting. I was underwhelmed by the plot in general - there wasn’t enough of anything for it to really be impactful. There wasn’t enough hunting monsters/fight scenes. There wasn’t enough development within the character relationships. It was a bit disappointing… and I really wasn’t connected to any of the characters which is very impactful in my overall reading experience in a fantasy. The main character is supposed to be unlikeable - kind of a pariah, a loner, troubled, but her entire personality was “I’m going to point a gun at you, or try to stab you with my knife” and that got old really fast.

kirstensviews's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny mysterious sad tense medium-paced

maroramos's review against another edition

eu não acredito que esse livro terminou como terminou. que aventura! adorei. quero reler imediatamente!

tracy_reads's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

waterdeep's review against another edition

2.5-2.75 stars. RTC but I'm pretty disappointed.

This book had really amazing, refreshing worldbuilding but everything else (characters, plot, etc) fell completely flat. Creepy possessive love interests don't do it for me, sorry.

andreacaro's review against another edition

I did it. I finished my first book of 2019.

The rest of the world is gone - drowned, to be exact - but the Dinetah have survived and gods are now walking, but so are monsters. This is where Maggie comes in. She's a monster slayer borne of tragedy and sharpened like a blade by a legendary warrior that suddenly abandons her.

So, let's talk Maggie. I liked her a lot. She's a hard, take-no-crap kind of character, but she managed to do it without being unnecessarily grating. And it makes sense, given her origin and how she came into her abilities. She carries a lot of hallmarks of a traditional antihero for me and I loved reading about her.

So, this world is definitely fantastic. People's abilities come from their clans. I loved this idea and cannot wait for it to be fleshed out in future books. Maggie, she's a Living Arrow, which means that she's really good at killing. There are tons of places that you can go with this and while the magical abilities aren't explored nearly enough in this novel, each little tidbit was so good to me.

I also loved meeting a few of the gods in this novel and understanding that they have their own purposes and motivations. I really wanted more of this. In fact, the world-building for me, is really the only thing lacking here. I just wanted more because what was included was oh so good.

Anyway, this review is not cohesive, but I have the flu. I loved this book, will be reading the sequel.

jamedi's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

digitamer2's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

tvirdee's review against another edition

Gripping and engaging! I appreciate the short chapters. The book becomes more and more interesting as you read on, with jaw dropping moments. I also really appreciate the representation of indigenous characters in fiction without white characters. The characters' clan powers are fascinating. I can't wait to read the 2nd one!