Nana, by Brandon Massey

itcamefromthepage's review against another edition

Not for me.

remigves's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective medium-paced

dana_dew's review against another edition

Wanted to DNF this at 1/3 way through and again at just under half way through. I rarely ever DNF books. If this wasn't a book club pick, I could have returned it to the library and not thought twice about it. I ended up walking away and started reading another book. In fact, I purchased this month's book club pick ( Wonderland by Jennifer Hillier) with 3 days to finish b4 the discussion...as I felt like I needed a chance at a positive book club experience. That one I read 2/3 straight fhrough before I couldn't keep my eyes open.

Then this morning-despite wanting to go back to Wonderland- I went back and finished Nana. The last part was less annoying.

I'm struggling a bit with rating it. The beginning was the roughest for me as too many things seemed utterly ridiculous. It also was fairly predictable. Since this is a Feb. book club pick, I will gather my thoughts and type up some notes. This got quite a few 4 & 5☆ reviews. Not my jam.
2.5 at best from me. The audiobook narration was pretty good at least.

reflectiveramblin_nalana's review against another edition

3.5 stars.

Nana is a tale that doesn't beat around the bush. It doesn't waste time in building the suspense. The type of villainy is quickly apparent even to brains like my own that are usually quite oblivious to twists and toying. While I personally prefer to question a twist a little, what it sacrifices is replaced with a brutal and blunt display of monstrosity both of the psychological and physical. Nana is a story that presents the reader with a character that asks not only what a creature can do, but what can one that manipulates achieve.

Where this novel falters a little for me that pushes down the rating is not my personal preference for story types. Rather it is the lack of evolution of the characters. A single character deciding to stop doing something unethical after being called out but not even reprimanded or directly addressed is not enough. If domestic drama is an element to a horror story, I would have liked to see the greater impact that this event had in a family's lives than a brief summary of a subsequent event.

A decent read that will satisfy horror readers looking for a straight up monster tale.

kendramekalle's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

andreacaro's review against another edition

you know, i really liked the horror aspect of this but frankly, this suffered from the crime of being written by a man. that means in fifty pages every character's breasts had been described to me multiple times.

there was also a not super graphic dog death and i dock a star automatically for anyone that uses the laziness of killing animals as a plot device.

the biggest problem that i had with this is the way the subject of rape/sexual assault was treated - men were sexually assaulted in this, yet they sleep with the character that raped them later on. a preacher is raped in this and the other character and the preacher both speculate that he really enjoyed it. i found it irresponsible and disgusting that it was written this way.

ultimately, this is a horror novel about how the worst thing that can happen to a man is a woman aging. so yeah. i think i just need to stay away from male authors.

tifftastic87's review against another edition

dark sad fast-paced

The story was decent but it was really hard to feel the tension when I just didn't care about the characters. The characters were kind of flat and dismissive of eachother. I didn't care about Monica (the victim in the story) because when the story was told from Troy's (Monica's husband) perspective he didn't really seem like he cared about her. He only seemed to care about being right, which made it hard to care about him.

The story is kind of predictable, but that wouldn't have been a problem if the characters were more developed. We immediately got into the "tense" part of the story without learning anything about the characters. Well, we did learn two things one is that Monica struggles to parent her strong willed daughter and that Troy is a f**k boy.

jerricka329's review against another edition

dark mysterious fast-paced

kaseycanread's review against another edition

Don’t mess with Nana