The Wicked King by Holly Black

dozyfirbolg's review against another edition

got damn okay fine FINE maYBEEEBbbeebeebEew I get rhe appeal

becs93's review against another edition

dark emotional medium-paced

haileereads's review against another edition

Wow. This book was compelling from the beginning to the very last page. I enjoyed it MUCH more than the first book. Why does the next book only come out in November?? Can’t wait.

icedragon6421's review

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

ana_rita_mendes's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced

megansabode's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

imme_van_gorp's review against another edition

|| 3.5 stars ||

This story is honestly so cool and so intriguing. The twists are always amazing!

Nonetheless, the writing itself is still not my favourite. It definitely has its good sides and I can admit that the author is a great storyteller, but I just really wish she would write with more emotion. It continues to feel a little cold to me, which makes it harder for me to develop a connection to the characters and their relationships. It also makes me struggle to understand the motivations behind certain actions.

I’m not sure if this is a controversial opinion or not, but I really do not like the romance between Cardan and Jude. It doesn’t even make sense to me. I don’t understand how or why they bonded, and I definitely don’t like the way Cardan treats her like she’s nothing sometimes. It’s the opposite of swoon-worthy to me and it doesn’t feel like love in the slightest.
The lack of emotional depth in the writing probably also adds to my inability to connect with them as a couple, but the main problem really is their insane toxicity. Also, they actually have very few interactions together, so I would say their relationship is very underdeveloped as well.

And last but not least, I AM SO ANGRY THAT JUDE FORGAVE TARYN SO EASILY!! What in the actual hell??? It’s like the book just totally ignored what a horrible human being she was. Like, I’m sorry, but I did not forget and she still makes me extremely angry. In all honesty though, most of the characters in this series make me mad. Why is almost everyone so damn unlikable?

Long story short, I have my issues with this series but I cannot deny I had a lot of fun reading this book. I will definitely be tuning in for the next installment, if only because I need to know what on earth Cardan was thinking at the end here, because, seriously; WHAT THE HELL did he just do??!?

'The Folk of the Air' trilogy:
1. The Cruel Prince - 2.5 stars
2. The Wicked King - 3.5 stars
3. The Queen of Nothing - 3.0 stars

Companion Novels:
1.5. The Lost Sisters - 1.5 stars
3.5. How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories - 2.5 stars

sarahcharlie's review against another edition

adventurous challenging medium-paced

mxddix's review against another edition

[4.5 Stars] “Kiss me until I am sick of it.”

I don’t know how to process this ending… I feel wounded. Betrayed. Now I’m watching Jane the Virgin to cope

Speaking of betrayal…. THE GHOST WAS MY 3RD FAVORITE CHARACTER (beside Jude and Cardan) and I have never been more HURT ARE YOU FREAKIN JOKING!

And Cardan, I’m so in love with you. I’m even in love with your cute lil tail. So that’s what I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt, hoping this all works itself out.

And finally I loved the under the sea parts!! I wish it was longer and we had more scenes and time and drama there but alas…

Backstabber is the theme song for this series, thanks

asomers3189's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful mysterious medium-paced