Reviews for Technically, You Started It, by Lana Wood Johnson

sam_reads_books's review against another edition

Didn't expect this to be told exclusively in text messages, but the demisexual rep redeems it for me.

emeraldelephant's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

rosapelaez's review against another edition

This book was so cute!!

I loved how was written through text messaging. At the beginning I thought that I will lose some important stuff about the plot but it was so well written I had not the feeling I missed anything important.

Also, I liked that it’s written in text messages because it made me think in how most of the time in YA the romance is like love at first sight but in this book, it was about becoming friends and confidents first and then something else with time.

sunnielena's review against another edition

I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for review.

This is how you do a book featuring a bisexual character without making that the entire plot. This is how you do a nerdy character without overloading the reader with references and aging the book instantly. This is how you do a fun light read! This is how you do a book of teens texting!

I loved that the only person to use "U" "R" was a mum trying her gosh darn best.

If you're in the mood for just a fun time give this a try!

iggyebab's review against another edition

That was a completely adorable epistolary YA. I loved that the cousins had the same name and caused the initial confusion. The texts were adorable and all of the confusion was so specific to being a teenager.
I really enjoyed this way more than I expected to.

rjsthumbelina's review against another edition

I loved this one! Contemporary YA romance told all in text messages between 2 teens that go to the same school but definitely are not friends. They grow to find they understand each other, but there's a case of mistaken identity in the way of their romance! Sweet, funny, relatable. Listened to audiobook via scribd

shevydw's review against another edition

Proof that I am still a sucker for identity shenanigans, no matter how ridiculous.

natashabayliss's review against another edition

Simply Adorable.
I listened to the audiobook and I think that made me love it more. It’s unlikely that I would have got invested when just reading this in text message format (rather than read out loud by the characters). It was a short and sweet high school romance. For some reason, It just hit me in the feels.

lisens's review against another edition

*3,5*

So. Here's the thing. I'm conflicted.

Pros:
- I really related to Haley. I can't really say what it was about her but the more I read the more I felt connected to her in a way I really haven't experienced with any book character before. Her way of describing her sexuality and anxiety and relationships just felt like someone putting me into words on a page and there's something so reassuring about that.
- I think the text language was really well done. No weird abreviations, short reactions mixed with longer thoughtful paragraphs. It read like something I'd text with my best friends.
- Once I got into it it read really quickly and easily.

Cons:
- It took me a really long time (about 150 pages) to get into the story
- Even once I got into the story I still found myself disconnected to the story and everyone's relationships and drama. Part of that might've been the text format where we didn't get the whole story which brings me to the next point:
- I think the story would've worked better if it was more 'mixed-media' and included conversations between the main characters and their friends etc. as well because, as I said, I really wasn't invested in all the sideplots.
- I really didn't feel any chemistry betwenn Haley and Martin and I think I actually would've prefered if they just stayed friends.

So yeah. Lots of issues, but a few diamonds in the rough. I'd defnintelly be interested in picking up more from Lana Wood Johnson because I feel like there's a lot of potential and post of my problems could be down to the format rather than the content itself (but I'd like to see her continue in the technology-field of YA because she seems to know what she's doing)

tepidgirlsummer's review against another edition

This was ADORABLE, and I am all about the bi and demi representation.