Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss by Kasie West

illusie's review

Lacey is falling in love for the first time. It's a bit cheesy at times, but sweet. I liked the plot, though filming on set felt repetitive. The sabotaging part of the plot could have been better executed. I was dissapointed when all was revealed. It just felt flat and not 100% logical. Despite that it was an enoyable quick read.

shadeslayer327's review

Based off the blurb I wasn't expecting to like this one as much as I did, but I actually really enjoyed it. Also, I'm probably going to cry when I finish her bibliography and run out of Kasie West books

readslikestrawberries's review against another edition

This was fun

akookieforyou's review against another edition

*3.5*

This was a lot better than I expected. From the reviews I had been seeing, I was a little worried that this book wasn't going to live up to my expectations of Kasie West, but in a way, it did.

I was a little unsure of the movie star point of view that this went for, but it was surprisingly interesting. So much so, that I wish it could've focused even more on that aspect. We still get some, but it ended up skipping over a lot of her actual acting scenes.

The romance was cute (as always with a Kasie West), even if it was a tad predictable. I like the male lead, and am SO happy that they didn't make the two romantic leads do the whole fight-and-then-make-up-in-the-third-act cliche, it was quite refreshing.

The main character was pretty good, she was pretty fun and interesting in certain areas, and then in others she was just a touch annoying. I also really enjoyed how real she felt, it can be so easy for the MC to become really bland like a cardboard cutout of a human.

The main subplot was okay, nothing too special. It was fairly predictable, and didn't affect anything too seriously.

Overall a pretty good YA romance. Definitely recommend to all fans of the genre, and especially fans of Kasie West.

harleyrae's review

This book was super cute! Out of all of the Kasie West books I’ve read this one is probably one of my least favorites, that being said I still really enjoyed this! I did feel like the story dragged on just a bit, but it really started to pick up half way through.
Overall I really really enjoyed this book! While I didn’t love it, it was still a lot of fun to read!

bekah_divall's review

I loved this book! At first it took a bit to warm up to the main character as her personality contrasts with my own. She has an extroverted persona and isn't afraid to do what she wants. The nice thing is, you also get to see inside her thoughts and know that even though she's crazy and outgoing, she has her insecurities. I liked the plot and how there were different settings to go along with the movie.
Also, we all need a Donovan in our lives. He is just too sweet and super patient towards Lacey. He even ditched class for her when she needed support from a friend! He was there for her and listened to what she had to say when others wouldn't do the same. He believed her when she told him someone was sabotaging her and went out of his way to figure out the mystery of who was ruining the set. This book was a really good read and definitely recommended by me.

kaelynrothe's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

funkelbunt_liest's review

lighthearted slow-paced

As most books I’ve read / listened to by Kasie West “Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss” is charming and lighthearted without being shallow or without depth.

I really enjoy Kasie West’s writing style and most of her characters and while I couldn’t put my finger on why - this one didn’t really do it for me.

Maybe the problem was that I was still quite upset with Abby and Cooper from the previous book “Love, Life, and the List” and Lacey is from the same “universe” and one of Abby’s rather new friends (who supports the way Abby and Cooper got together by the way…). Or maybe it’s the setting of a movie set and our main character being an (aspiring) actress and me not at all interested in this world. Or maybe it was the lack of chemistry between Lacey and Donovan (I liked them both individually and there were rather sweet moments, but they didn’t feel like a couple to me). Or maybe it was something else entirely, but I didn’t really feel it…

I wasn’t swooning over the love interest, I wasn’t anxious when Lacey got problems and seemed to be set up, I wasn’t angry at anyone. I just wasn’t really invested.

While I enjoy a slow pace and don’t really care for stories where getting to know and love each other and character growth is rushed through a few days, here there just wasn’t happening a lot in the beginning and when it finally did I still didn’t get hooked.

Even if I started to like Lacey about half through the book, Donovan was literally the only person I cared for or could relate to.

But because I can’t quite say what is “wrong” with the book I still give it 4 stars because others might love the movie setting and all that comes with it.

vandavknihach's review against another edition

Tohle je třetí příběh od K. West, který se mi dostal do rukou. Pokud bych je mezi sebou měla porovnat, tak bych tenhle hodnotila zatím jako nejslabší. Přesto však nabízí typické věci jako každá Westovka.
Jako pozitivní bych určitě hodnotila čtivost, tu má Kasie vždycky úplně neskutečnou. To jsem ani nemrkla, a měla přečtenou celou knihu zase během jednoho dne.
Samozřejmě také nesmí chybět sladký příběh a krásný románek, u kterého se člověk rozplývá. Co mě ale u této knihy překvapilo, bylo to, že jsem po pár stranách neměla jasnou představu, kdo s kým vlastně a jak bude (a koho teda budeme sledovat). Do 1/4 jsem si nebyla jistá, což je u jejich knih hodně překvapivé.

Naopak, co mě od příběhu rušilo, byla právě zápletka s natáčením filmu. To téma by mi teda vůbec nevadilo, jako ten film, co natáčeli. Protože já v tom viděla klasický béčkový film se zombíky, který nakonec nikdo nechce vidět. Byly tam tipy a triky, u kterých bych snad i řekla, že se dneska ani nepoužívají, protože technika už je dost jinde.
No a druhou věcí jsou scény a momenty přitažené za vlasy, příliš okaté a příliš dokonale napojené na sebe. To se ukazovalo hlavně ke konci, kde už toho bylo dost na to, aby to člověk přehlížel.

Takže určitě fajn oddechovka, ale autorka má lepší knihy. Mně tahle zase tolik nesedla.

kaeliesreads's review

I love how the main characters are polar opposite.