The Girl the Sea Gave Back, by Adrienne Young

tattedglass's review against another edition

The Girl The Sea Gave Back is a companion novel to Sky In The Deep.

This story follows Tova who is found on a half burned boat in a rivals clans shore. She is discovered to be a Truthtongue, someone who can cast the dice and read the fate in the tunes that land. Tova has no recollection of her life before being found on the boat.

What will the dice reveal about her fate and the mysterious man she sees in the glade?

I have been anxiously anticipating this novel all year and it did not disappoint. I will be recommending this novel to all my friends.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for this ARC, which will be available for purchase September 3, 2019.

10lewis2011's review against another edition

adventurous dark slow-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A

asquared92's review against another edition

After reading Sky in the Deep, I couldn’t wait to dive into this book. I was not disappointed. Again, Adrienne Young, wrote compelling and complex characters supported by an excellent plot. Halvard was gritty and untested, but oh so honorable. Tova was innocent and searching for answers about her past and who she was. I loved that their story was told in alternating chapters. As they were drawn together the story was rich and full of wonderful detail. Halvard journey of self-discovery and acceptance of fate was heart wrenching. Tova’s guilt over and struggle to accept the events that transpired brought tears to my eyes. I loved the glimpses of Fiske, Eelyn, and Iri shown through Halvard’s eyes. His love for his family and fear of what was to come for them was so moving and relatable. The plot was paced perfectly and was action packed. The author’s weaved a story full of self-discovery, grief, fate, love, family, friendship that was hard to put down. The ending was good. It fit the story, but it did feel like it was a bit abrupt.

halliemcd's review against another edition

I loved the first book, but this one didn't really do it for me. I loved Tova's character, but there were many elements of this that just fell flat. It was written well, just like the first one. Unlike the first one, however, there were two characters narrating, plus flashbacks. We would read an event happening from one character's perspective, then we would hit rewind in the next chapter to see the same event happening from the other character's perspective. Even though this story takes place in the span of a few days, this means of storytelling really made things seem soooooo dragged out. It was very slow, and there were so many side characters and subplots that meant the focus wasn't so much on the interaction between Tova and Halvard. And then it's all like oh yeah, fate, we are meant to be together. In the first book, it was just Eelyn narrating. When she left Hylli we didn't flash back to focus on her father or her friend. It was just her and Iri and Fiske and his family. Others in the village appeared somewhat throughout the story. That was much more manageable and I felt very connected to Eelyn and Fiske and Iri's story because of it. I still love Adrienne Young's writing, but I couldn't connect with this one as well as I did with the first.

loreofthebooks's review against another edition

I LOVE Young's writing. I think her book plot's are creative, and I enjoy reading her books. So WHY are both of her books three stars?

Because I just don't...totally get them. For example, I didn't really love the pacing in this book. I was so intrigued at the beginning, but by the time we got to the middle of the book I was losing interest very quickly, and then something would happen and I'd be mildly interested again.

I feel sometimes a lot of nothing happens in the book, and when that happens there needs to be a point to it, but in this book that wasn't something that I was getting! Tova was such a cool character, and I wanted it to be more about her, and less about everyone else.

I didn't care for the romance that popped up in the end. This book is firmly a three star rating for me. Enjoyable. But not totally my thing either.

rainynight1213's review against another edition

A tale that pulls you in with it's alluring characters and fluid chronology. A must read for anyone who enjoyed "Sky in the Deep" for the world and values it was built upon.

thelibrarylane's review against another edition

I’m not surprised by how much I enjoyed this book! It has strong characters & beautiful writing. Highly recommend

jxdiereads's review against another edition

It was nice to read more about Halvard and to see how Eelyn and the others fare.

This book has a nice plot and it's beautifully written. But personally it felt a bit rushed to me.

There were a lot of flash backs. They made me happy bc it was fun to see some characters return and it was a nice way to get to know the new characters. However, the story that took place in 'the present', got a bit lost to me. I feel like it all 'happened' over only a few days, which made me miss the actual relationship building between the main characters.

ackopec's review

adventurous fast-paced

Hello, Ms Young, do we have the same definition of nighthawk?

rena65478's review